PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought I was having an issue with a tune, now I'm not sure what it is

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I thought I was having an issue with a tune, now I'm not sure what it is

I have a 2002 Camaro that I had recently removed the motor/trans to install H/C. I got everything back together and installed back in the car. The car was previously tuned with a COS from HPT that I couldn't view or modify with my V2. I had a friend read and save the tune and I bought a new computer programmed to my vin and factory calibrations.

After getting everything back in and the new computer licensed I downloaded COS5 and began to modify the tables and flashed into the computer. The car started up good and idled decent. I couldn't drive or give it much throttle without it losing control and almost dieing. Seemed like a tuning issue so I tried to drive the car anyway and do some logging, but if I gave it much throttle at all my wideband would go way lean and it would pop in the exhaust. I started putting more fuel to it and it started running worse and worse each time I made a change and got to a point it wouldn't hardly run. At this point I modified the stock OS and wrote it into the pcm thinking there was a table or something in the COS that I was missing making it run like crap. Now the car won't start period and gives a brief pu pff and then just cranks.

After thinking about it I'm beginning to wonder if the popping and the wideband reading lean was actually a lean issue, or was I experiencing intermittent spark (possibly no spark at this point) causing unburnt oxygen to enter the exhaust making it appear lean.?.

I have tried to connect my scanner to see whats going on, but as soon as I begin to crank the ignition it loses connection. I was very meticulous when I reassembled everything and I'm pretty positive all of my grounds are connected good. I've tried a new crank sensor and I've swapped relays around, but it still seems to have no spark. I have good fuel pressure and the plugs are now wet. Could my computer be bad? What else should I check for?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the cam degreed in correctly?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris
Is the cam degreed in correctly?
It was installed dot to dot just like several of the cam swaps I've done in the past. I used checker springs and measured multiple times verifying clearance. The engine sounded quiet and smooth while it did run and it hasn't seen more than 3k rpm, and it was at that only for a split second.

Last edited by kkslds; 03-21-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Post your tune and I will take a look at it. I've been running the COS5 in mine for a while and I love it.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67SS509
Post your tune and I will take a look at it. I've been running the COS5 in mine for a while and I love it.
Ok cool. I'm currently posting from an IPad, but I'll be home tomorrow and I'll post it then.

I was hesitant at first to go straight to a COS being a beginner tuner, but it sounded like the latest and greatest. I've wondered just being a h/c car if I would really benefit from anything extra it has to offer. At this point it seems like I've got most of the COS features disabled.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67SS509
Sorry for the delay
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Is this still a stock ci LS1? If so, your VE table is way too big. Also you have too much fuel multiplier in (A0008) for cold temps. P0101, P0102 and P0103 Process Enablers need changing to "None Emissions".
If you are still a LS1 I'll look in my files tomorrow and see if I can find you a good VE table for starters.

Last edited by 67SS509; 03-25-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: I thought I was having an issue with a tune, now I'm not sure what it is