Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive by wire to cable driven conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive by wire to cable driven conversion

I'm at the point in my lq9/ls3 swap where it's time to modd the wire harness. The harness I have is drive by wire. But, I went with a fast intake and 102mm throttle body which is cable driven to avoid having to add a DBW petal. How do I change the wire harness to work with the cable throttle body?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's easy.
Discard all wiring used for DBW, then install new wires for the TPS sensor and IAC motor. Existing wiring is of no use because it goes to TAC module.
TPS needs 3 wires and IAC 4, all of them go directly to the PCM.
If you are not comfortable with wiring, leave DBW harness alone just tape and hide it away, then install the new wires directly from the PCM.

When wiring is done you need to flash a tune from a vehicle which was DBC from factory. Not just the calibration, you need to overwrite all the PCM's memory with the DBC operating system, because the stock DBW tune will trip REP mode as soon as you start the engine.
A Express Van tune is often used for this purpose.

Your PCM must have IAC drivers installed in the motherboard, if it doesn't the IAC will not work and you'll have idle issues. Older PCMs are more likely to have IAC drivers. New PCMs don't have them.

Easy ain't it?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
That's easy.
Discard all wiring used for DBW, then install new wires for the TPS sensor and IAC motor. Existing wiring is of no use because it goes to TAC module.
TPS needs 3 wires and IAC 4, all of them go directly to the PCM.
If you are not comfortable with wiring, leave DBW harness alone just tape and hide it away, then install the new wires directly from the PCM.

When wiring is done you need to flash a tune from a vehicle which was DBC from factory. Not just the calibration, you need to overwrite all the PCM's memory with the DBC operating system, because the stock DBW tune will trip REP mode as soon as you start the engine.
A Express Van tune is often used for this purpose.

Your PCM must have IAC drivers installed in the motherboard, if it doesn't the IAC will not work and you'll have idle issues. Older PCMs are more likely to have IAC drivers. New PCMs don't have them.

Easy ain't it?

Easy NO! Doable maybe.
So let me get this straight... First I should get a PCM from a 2000 express van, then get a TPS and IAC sensors and wiring. Right? Will my 2005 2500hd Silverado wire harness plug into a 2000 express van PCM?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a couple options for you.
The 05 harness can be made to work with 99-06 PCMs. A 99-02 Fbody PCM has the proper OS to make your engine run good but it needs wiring rework.
A 03-04 PCM from a Express van works without wiring mods to the harness and has a good OS to start with.

First step is to get a PCM from a DBC car.
Then get the wiring diagrams for that vehicle to make the IAC/TPS wiring and check that everything else matches.

Then you need to tune it
The following users liked this post:
Gary Henson (02-07-2020)

Quick Reply: drive by wire to cable driven conversion