Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Communication with Scanner/Code Reader

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Communication with Scanner/Code Reader

To make a long story short, my Trans Am isn't running right and when I hooked up my simple code reader to it it power on but said no communication. I think took it to the dealer and when they tried to hook up their big money proper scanner, it also had no communication.

I checked the wiring beforehand and don't see any burned through or broken wires.

Dealer said they thought I needed to get a new computer. Over on the LT1 section they seem to think it wouldn't be the PCM. I took the PCM out of the car and it's a remanufactured one, not the original.

Also, the guy had an aftermarket tach wired into one of the wires coming out of the PCM harness. I removed it and covered the little slice in the insulation that the wire splice thing had made.

How can I go about seeing if I really need a new computer or if there is something else causing no communications?

Thanks in advanced for the help guys. Don't want to waste a bunch of money just throwing parts at the car but I do want to get it fixed.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

BTW. It's a 97. Obviously an LT1 and I know this is the LS1 section but I figured some PCM experts on here that wouldn't check the LT1 section might be able me.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the PCM service number. Being a 97 it should be OBD2 but maybe someone changed the PCM for a OBD1, I have done it myself.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Check the PCM service number. Being a 97 it should be OBD2 but maybe someone changed the PCM for a OBD1, I have done it myself.
Unfortunately you can't read the label on it. It's too worn off. You can barely make out at the top that it says remanufactured.

I'm thinking that I might have to replace the computer just to know what I'm working with.

Quick Reply: No Communication with Scanner/Code Reader