PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wouldnt start after Cam sprocket change........Timed my motor wrong..FML

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wouldnt start after Cam sprocket change........Timed my motor wrong..FML

SEE PAGE 2

My car is a 99 Trans am with a 5.3 out of a 2010 Silverado.

im using the TRG002. I originally had a 1x 3 bolt cam sprocket in the motor which Lingenfelter told me is the wrong Cam sprocket. I should be using a 4x. my car would run but would sometimes crank for a very long time.

I just changed the Cam sprocket to a 4x. its all put back together and now the engine just cranks over but doesn't not start. when I crank the motor over it goes green for a second then back to red.

The small harness for the Cam sensor that comes on the engine stock is not on there. it was not before I changed the cam sprocket and it ran. I didn't use it because the plug on the TRG002 harness didn't plug into it easily because of the plastic that secures the connection didn't go together.
after looking at it further, this little harness cant even be used because the trg plug will not plug into it. it doesnt fit.

all I did was install the correct cam sprocket and now it wont start. I checked my ignition, I hear my fuel pump prime. everything is plugged in.

any help would be appreciated. if anyone has experience with the TRG002.

I emailed Lingenfelter about it too

All that doesn't matter

Last edited by autogeek23; 06-08-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PCM determines what cam sprocket reluctor you need. If you are using a 99 Trans Am PCM then you need a 1x reluctor on the sprocket.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But my engine is a 58 tooth reluctor wheel engine. So that needs a 4x cam
Gear. That's why I bought the converter box. It says in the instructions to use a 4x cam sprocket.

When I had the 1x cam gear it had problems and would throw codes. And I install the right part and more it doesn't work at all. Idk

Last edited by autogeek23; 04-13-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've never installed the TRG200, but looking through the instructions here https://www.lingenfelter.com/sites/l....6%20small.pdf I didn't realize you fed the cam sensor signal to the box also. I thought it just converted the 58x crank signal to a 24x. So it looks like you need the 4x cam reluctor to make it work. What are the led indicators showing on the box?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep I'm running a 4x. Bought from pace performance. Blinking green then going red. I know it deals with the cam sensor signal. The instructions are in the car at the moment not by me.

Also I'm going to charge my battery and try looking into it again Wednesday.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

From the instructions:

• Blinking GREEN GREEN GREEN RED (three green blinks followed by a red blink) indicates
a loss of camshaft signal.
• Usually due to electrical noise or bad sensor/wiring.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TRG-002 wiring

Yes, for the TRG-002 to function correctly the engine must have the 58x crank wheel and the 4x camshaft timing gear. The TRG-002 uses both signals to convert the 58x/4x signal into a 24x/1x signal.

As indicated in the instructions, the TRG-002 must connect directly to the camshaft sensor on the front of the timing cover. The intermediate GM harness that is on the front timing cover of most Gen IV engines must NOT be used.

What year/make/model vehicle is this going in?

Are you using any other jumper harnesses/camshaft extension harness etc?

Originally Posted by autogeek23
Yep I'm running a 4x. Bought from pace performance. Blinking green then going red. I know it deals with the cam sensor signal. The instructions are in the car at the moment not by me.

Also I'm going to charge my battery and try looking into it again Wednesday.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
Yes, for the TRG-002 to function correctly the engine must have the 58x crank wheel and the 4x camshaft timing gear. The TRG-002 uses both signals to convert the 58x/4x signal into a 24x/1x signal.

As indicated in the instructions, the TRG-002 must connect directly to the camshaft sensor on the front of the timing cover. The intermediate GM harness that is on the front timing cover of most Gen IV engines must NOT be used.

What year/make/model vehicle is this going in?

Are you using any other jumper harnesses/camshaft extension harness etc?
thank you for responding and being active on here. i emailed jmyers and havent heard back yet. i know you guys are busy people.

i have a 99 trans am. with a 5.3 out of a 2010 silverdo. i bought the wrong cam sprocket which was a 1x cam sprocket. i learned i need the 4x because thats what the engine needs and the trg002 converts.

so i purchase a 4x 3 bolt cam sprocket from pace performance. i install it and now it just cranks and cranks. green light flashes on the trg002 . got 2 flashes but i know it should flash 3. my battery died while cranking. The TRG002 cam harness is plugged directly into the cam position sensor. the correct plug too. the Cam IN goes to the sensor.

during this cam sprocket swap i only unplugged 8 connectors. all are plugged back in securely.

could a low battery cause it to have communication errors? im going to charge it today and put it back in tomorrow and scan the ses light.havent gotten to scan the light yet.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Green light stays solid now while cranking. All I did was charge the battery
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My security light flashes. But it did that before.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told I bought a 5.3 outer if a 2010 silverado. I actually have an LH6 that has a 24 tooth reluctor wheel. I don't even need the trg002. My casting number is 12601900. I laid under my car with tiny binoculars and my phone for a flashlight and could just barely read the numbers. So now I have to put my 1x cam sprocket back on and remove the trg002 and extend my cam sensor harness
Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Low battery voltage

Yes, low battery voltage can cause any of the modules to have problems with running the engine. If the voltage drops below around 9 volts during cranking our module could have trouble synch'ing.

Green light stays solid now while cranking. All I did was charge the battery
Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Security light flashing

The security light flashing is unlikely related to our module.

I don't think the security light output is related to RPM signal (cam or crank).

My security light flashes. But it did that before.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default 24x engine

Sorry you had these issues but glad you found the problem.

Yes, our module won't work if the engine is already a 24x engine.

I was told I bought a 5.3 outer if a 2010 silverado. I actually have an LH6 that has a 24 tooth reluctor wheel. I don't even need the trg002. My casting number is 12601900. I laid under my car with tiny binoculars and my phone for a flashlight and could just barely read the numbers. So now I have to put my 1x cam sprocket back on and remove the trg002 and extend my cam sensor harness
Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jason thanks for helping. Can't believe this happened tho. I stand by the product you guys make tho.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 58x or 24x

So I've been reading a couple threads on the lh6. Now in not sure if mine has a 58x or 24x. Casting number 12601900. Car didn't start with it setup for a 58x. Had the trg002, 4x cam sprocket and it didn't run.

Now the car has the trg002 off and a 1x cam sprocket and it won't run.

Any difference in the gen4 crank sensor and gen3? Maybe the reference voltage is different. I'm thinking about changing the sensor.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Crank sensor

The difference is not Gen III vs Gen IV crank sensor (since 24x Gen IV engines exist) but 24x vs 58x crank sensor.

The 24x engines used a different sensor due to the design of the reluctor wheel and the tooth count. The 24x engines also operate the sensors at a different voltage.

You must use the 24x crank sensor with the 24x reluctor wheel and your PCM harness.

The sensor housings are molded a different color and have a different connector design so they should be easy to tell apart.

NOTE - Not that this applies in this case since you aren't using the TRG but just to make sure so that nobody who is or will be using one gets confused, when using a TRG-002 with a 58x wheel reluctor you must use a 58x crank sensor. The TRG-002 converts the voltages between what the ECM/PCM is expecting and what the sensors are expecting.

So I've been reading a couple threads on the lh6. Now in not sure if mine has a 58x or 24x. Casting number 12601900. Car didn't start with it setup for a 58x. Had the trg002, 4x cam sprocket and it didn't run.

Now the car has the trg002 off and a 1x cam sprocket and it won't run.

Any difference in the gen4 crank sensor and gen3? Maybe the reference voltage is different. I'm thinking about changing the sensor.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Crank Sensor....Cam sensor wiring

ok so my crank position sensor on my 5.3 looks identical to the ls1 according to motoralldata. its a 3 wire. all the wires are in the same place. there is a little plastic fin on the inside of the sensor that didnt line up with my factory plug which is meant for an ls1 sensor.

i broke off the little fin and plugged it in. car still wouldnt start.

im going to try getting an LS1 crank sensor on wednesday and putting that in. hopefully that does it.

since im not using the TRG002 do i need switch any wires around for my cam sensor? i have my factory harness extended and have the wires in the same place.

thank you for your help jason
Old 04-21-2014, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Crank sensor

That "fin" you removed is a key in the connector to make sure only a mating connector fits it. If you had to remove a key from the connector then you had the wrong sensor. That is why the key is there (to make it harder to plug the wrong sensor into the wrong harness connector).

The 24x sensor is black and is part # 12560228.

The 58x sensor is gray is part # 12585546 except for in the LS9 that uses a different crankshaft sensor (to go with a different diameter reluctor wheel).

ok so my crank position sensor on my 5.3 looks identical to the ls1 according to motoralldata. its a 3 wire. all the wires are in the same place. there is a little plastic fin on the inside of the sensor that didnt line up with my factory plug which is meant for an ls1 sensor.

i broke off the little fin and plugged it in. car still wouldnt start.

im going to try getting an LS1 crank sensor on wednesday and putting that in. hopefully that does it.

since im not using the TRG002 do i need switch any wires around for my cam sensor? i have my factory harness extended and have the wires in the same place.

thank you for your help jason
Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If it ran before with the 1X but was taking a while to start you outside cam sensor wires are likely backwards. We see that all the time when we get ready to tune an engine swap, if it spins over a while before starting and throws cam sensor code thats usually the issue.

Quick Reply: Wouldnt start after Cam sprocket change........Timed my motor wrong..FML