PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Care to look over my Tune?

Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Care to look over my Tune?

Sup guys,

I have a '88 foxbody with a turbo'd 5.3/4l80e combo in it. Currently running 15 lbs of boost though a Master Power T70 turbo with meth injection. Has 80 lb. injectors with twin 255 lph pumps (one intank, one inline). Also being controlled by a custom harness to run the stock PCM on a custom 3bar OS (and truck cluster!)

The tune itself need's a little bit of work, sometimes it'll idle lean.. then fix itself and idle around 15.0:1.. Cruise needs the most work, for the most part its 13.5:1- 16.0:1, depends on the throttle input. WOT seems where I like it, about 11.3:1.

Just would like another opinion.

Here's the current tune and short cruise log (was raining so coudn't get into it much)..

-Mike
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Cruising.hpl (64.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

First opinion is i would always fix drivability, start up, cruise, etc before ever going to WOT. You can get into the WOT areas of the VE/MAF table and change things then your WOT AFR can be off. As well as the timing.
Does this 5.3 have a cam in it? If not, why is the misfire code turned off?
Making such a large jump in the idle rpm vs cts can cause issues as well.
Your throttle cracker table appears to be heavily modified and raped as well.
If you arent running the maf you may want to zero out the maf fuel table.
You def want to put knock retard table back to having SOME value in it. As well as the high rpm VE disable.
Turn your knock retard decay down.
Where did you get your tuning tips from?

There seem to be alot of reasons why you may be having issues with most parts besides WOT.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

re-do your Ve table. Delete the MAF. Make sure you have an IAT wired up.

I've seen some crap before but that VE table takes the cake lol

Your under/overspeed spark tables need some massaging as well
Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It is likely butchered because of him using the wideband soley to tune with when the narrowbands would help alot more on cruising etc. Looks like all fuel trims were supposed to be turned off but not all of the parameters are set to turn off. I dont like just using the drop down menu to turn ltft off.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
It is likely butchered because of him using the wideband soley to tune with when the narrowbands would help alot more on cruising etc. Looks like all fuel trims were supposed to be turned off but not all of the parameters are set to turn off. I dont like just using the drop down menu to turn ltft off.
yes, It's a good habit to get into to max the LTFT Temps and disable it with the drop down option.

I agree on tuning cruise with STFT's If the setup allows it. Otherwise I would just scale the VE table slightly rich and go from there, a Load cell dyno would benefit him tremendously
Old 04-20-2014, 10:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It wouldnt matter much as the knock tables are maxed in either direction also, and the airflow tables are odd too.

The wideband will oscillate just like a narrowband will esp at cruise etc, and having the update rate on your histogram set too low can cause issues as well. The best thing about using fuel trims are you dont have to worry about the wide range of oscillations contaminating the info. It can be worse than tuning with STFTs only sometimes.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It wouldnt matter much as the knock tables are maxed in either direction also, and the airflow tables are odd too.

The wideband will oscillate just like a narrowband will esp at cruise etc, and having the update rate on your histogram set too low can cause issues as well. The best thing about using fuel trims are you dont have to worry about the wide range of oscillations contaminating the info. It can be worse than tuning with STFTs only sometimes.
By the way his VE table looks, I'm willing to bet he has his Hit Count low if not 0'd. and is just pasting bad data into his VE table

I didn't even look at the airflow, just glanced through it and chuckled at the VE lol

OP PM me
Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This is why searching the net/forums and looking for a config and using it can be bad.
Ive seen problems like this from someone doing that.
It was a PITA to fix his backwards tune.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 AM

Ok guys, I made the post last night and I should a mentioned a few things..

For one the tune was given to me as a start up tune. The car was megasquirt/msd before, I made the switch to stock pcm when I changed the trans from a th400 to the 80e.

It has no o2 senor's in it, so it's always in open loop. The 5.3 does have a cam in it. Knock sensor's are also deleted. Tuning wise, I have plenty of experience with Megasquirt and MSD.. HPT is a totally new ball game for me, I mostly just adjusted the Primary VE to get it somewhat driveable. With the old th400/MS/MSD the car went 10.75 @ 126 on 11lbs...

Last edited by ManicMike; 04-21-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Put the knock sensors back in it. They can very likely save your bacon.
As far as the O2s I would out them back in as well. That is just me talking on that part, but IF they show to not be compatible with your setup you can take em out, but they can very likely help you setup your ve profile better.
Whomever gave you that startup tune should prob read this thread also.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Put the knock sensors back in it. They can very likely save your bacon.
As far as the O2s I would out them back in as well. That is just me talking on that part, but IF they show to not be compatible with your setup you can take em out, but they can very likely help you setup your ve profile better.
Whomever gave you that startup tune should prob read this thread also.
Right now I'd rather keep it simple and keep the knock sensors and o2's out. Eventually I'd probably add them back in. He's a busy guy and really gives a ton of info out already.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Really the knock sensors are a must.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Really the knock sensors are a must.
Ok, but they are not getting hooked up at the moment.

No one else looked at the tune?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Care to look over my Tune?