Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have no clue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have no clue

I do not know anything about tuning and widebands and have several questions.

My car needs to be tuned with what I am running.

My first question is does my car need to be retuned for running the car in the winter and for when I run it in the summer. If I have the car tuned on a hot day does that mean that the tune will only be good between certain outside temps?

My second question is, if I bring the car to be tuned by someone, do I need a wideband o2 sensor or will they use their own? If they use their own do I still need a wideband to make the car run right with their tune?

My third question is how hard is it to tune a car yourself?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

A. If tuned properly by a competent tuner, your fuel trims (if left enabled) will compensate for temp changes.

2. Dyno tuners normally have a WB they insert into the tailpipe. I would recommend a WB gauge for peace of mind in a column or pod mount if I were you. I use an Autometer Cobalt Lambda/AFR gauge (bosch sensor) in a pod mount with the analog output for tuning. NGK is the choice of many tuners for it's reliability, but IDK if they have a gauge setup or just a WB with an analog output for tuning.

D. Steep learning curve. Unless you have a lot of time and talent leave it to the pros. Find a good tuner that will properly adjust VE and MAF tables, not just rape the Power Enrichment (PE) to get end results. HTH
Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. What is a better type of tuner to use, one that tunes on a dyno or one that tunes on the street?

I am not looking to race the car but rather use it as a daily driver. Someone told me that if you go to a dyno tuner they will just tune the car as if you only drag race and not for everyday use. Is that true?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

Mostly, yes. They tune WOT for the most part. Some are more thorough than others and will work on the midrange, ect.

A combo is best of dyno & street tuning IMO, I have no dyno access close to me so I street tune and do the WOT in third in a deserted place.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to tune a car on a dyno, loaded or not, that did not require some good tweaking on the street. I am doing a combo of street and track for my tuning.

Quick Reply: I have no clue