PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail Order Tunes?????? LSX POWERTUNING??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mail Order Tunes?????? LSX POWERTUNING??

So im completely new to v8 period. I went from a fully built forged 2.4L Ka24de in my drift car, sold my setup and im now going to be running a rebuilt bottom end 5.3 LM7 with a built head, twin turbo, and i was considering a tune I seen advertised by LSXPOWERTUNING.

Does anyone have any reviews on their tune quality? I ran a rom tune by Enthalpy a few years ago before I went Megasquirt 2 and it was on point for the most part. Im considering this route again to just get my car going. Was thinking of a power goal between 500-600hp.

5.3 LM7
LS1 Intake Manifold
BTR Dual Valve Springs .660 Lift
Custom Grind 228/236 .540/.540 115lsa
Head Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
Ported LS6 Oil Pump
ls2 Timing Chain
LS7 Lifters
Chromoly Pushrods
Trunion Upgrade
60lb-80lb injectors
Was told running both Maf and Map was good for tuning positive pressure and drivability.
2 .50 A/R T3 Internally Wastegated Turbos

Im what you could consider a noob with LSx engines but im doing countless studying throughout everyday since i began this project.
Any help will do. Thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not trust a mail order tune for anything past bolt ons, and certainly not a cammed boosted car.

Take it to a real tuner that will be able to do the job on the spot, not some guy randomly throwing numbers at such an engine and hoping it will be fine. Don't get me wrong, mail order tuners have their place. Just I would not trust them for such a build where there are so many variables. It's pretty hard to mess up a bolt-on tune, but with a cam and boost it's a whole different animal.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ What more can I say!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a mail order tune to have a base calibration so you can safely drive your car without washing cylinders with gas and fouling plugs. Then take your car to a tuner for a complete tune.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ exactly right. A mail order is just fine for a bolt on car. But for a tt 5.3 you NEED a hands on tune. To get you running a mail order is usually just fine. Twin T3 .5A/R seems a bit small even for your modest goals. They may run out of steam up top. Even the small 5.3L is more than double the displacement you are used to and they flow A LOT of exhaust. For 600hp you will want dual 3" exhaust. Meaning a T3/4 in the 55-60mm comp range. Boost response will be near instant.

Last edited by Exidous; 05-09-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by onpointdrift5.3t
So im completely new to v8 period. I went from a fully built forged 2.4L Ka24de in my drift car, sold my setup and im now going to be running a rebuilt bottom end 5.3 LM7 with a built head, twin turbo, and i was considering a tune I seen advertised by LSXPOWERTUNING.

Does anyone have any reviews on their tune quality? I ran a rom tune by Enthalpy a few years ago before I went Megasquirt 2 and it was on point for the most part. Im considering this route again to just get my car going. Was thinking of a power goal between 500-600hp.

5.3 LM7
LS1 Intake Manifold
BTR Dual Valve Springs .660 Lift
Custom Grind 228/236 .540/.540 115lsa
Head Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
Ported LS6 Oil Pump
ls2 Timing Chain
LS7 Lifters
Chromoly Pushrods
Trunion Upgrade
60lb-80lb injectors
Was told running both Maf and Map was good for tuning positive pressure and drivability.
2 .50 A/R T3 Internally Wastegated Turbos

Im what you could consider a noob with LSx engines but im doing countless studying throughout everyday since i began this project.
Any help will do. Thanks
There are reviews on here on here of our tuning. A mail order for your setup would just be to get you up and running and not a final tune. You'll need a tune in person, no way around it. If you were familiar with tuning and had tuning software it could be remotely tuned through email but its not something for someone just getting into ls or tuning.

Originally Posted by Exidous
^ exactly right. A mail order is just fine for a bolt on car. But for a tt 5.3 you NEED a hands on tune. To get you running a mail order is usually just fine. Twin T3 .5A/R seems a bit small even for your modest goals. They may run out of steam up top. Even the small 5.3L is more than double the displacement you are used to and they flow A LOT of exhaust. For 600hp you will want dual 3" exhaust. Meaning a T3/4 in the 55-60mm comp range. Boost response will be near instant.
Your exactly right.

Quick Reply: Mail Order Tunes?????? LSX POWERTUNING??