Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Newb with a few questions..5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Newb with a few questions..5.3 swap

So here is the scenario....I bought an LM7 block (05) and heads to swap over to my 240sx chassis. The motor did not come with sensors of any type, maf, or intake.

Picked up an LS6 intake with rails and injector. Now here are my questions:

1-Is there a tuning advantage using the LS1 3pin vs 5pin MAF vs Vortec MAF?
2-Is there a tuning advantage using the Fbody/LS1 vs GTO/LS2 02 sensor?
3-If if I use the LS6 intake and rails would I need to have any tuning done or would the "standard reflash" compensate enough to get the car running properly. I apologize if this is a silly questions as I have 0 tuning experience.

If the tuning is needed for question 3 I will likely drop in an LS1 cam setup with Cam Position Sensor and Front Cover as well since I have access to it. If there is no additional tuning needed then I will leave the internals of the LM7 alone.

I thank you guys so much in advance.....hope to learn a thing or two here.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Tuning advantage, not really. Your standalone harness is going to dictate most of those questions. At a minimum the pcm will have to be flashed to disable vat in order for it to run. I would still recommend a tune vs just vats delete.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Thanks for the quick response. I am having a standalone harness made by Wiring Specialties since I have a good relationship with them. Harness is going to be custom made to my setup so I guess that will help with the decision making.

Here is the game plan so far after some previous research:
-5 Pin Maf since it includes the AIT integrated into it
-Fbody/Vette O2
-If a tune is recommended anyway then I will likely drop the LS1 cam, CPS, and Front Cover just to eliminate having to do it in the future plus the little bit of power/power range advantage the LS1 cam provides is worth the swap as the motor is outside of the chassis right now.

Quick Reply: Tuning Newb with a few questions..5.3 swap