Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BCM or other issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default BCM or other issue

Alright- I don't even know where to begin searching for this one and it has me stumped.

So this happened about a week ago and again today, only worse and leaving me stranded.

Car is a 2002 LS1 Camaro A4

Issue is:

I go to start the car and it immediatly doesn't idle, it dies, fire it up, rev it up, same thing (sounds and runs great, but just straight dies with no throttle applied)

ok cool- go to start it again, now all I get is a click and it wont turn over, ok, turn the key off, go to turn it back on and now absolutely nothing- gauges dont sweep, no lights, no windows, no door locks- acts like a total dead battery

Ok- pull the key out of the ignition entirely and wait...as I wait, I all of a sudden I get a half sweep with the gauges and the seatbelt light comes on and stays lit up

during this period, key fob doesnt work nor does anything electrical (locks, radio, etc)...wait 5-10 minutes- put the key in and turn to run and everything is functional as if there is no issues...go to start it and all I get is a click like it has a dead starter.

Now for the super loop...I finally do get it to start and there is a loud whinning coming from the fuel pump area inside the car, the car still refuses to idle without the throttle being depressed. Car dies and repeat all over again....

Is this a BCM issue? In my 96 when I had a bcm issue I had trouble with the radio working when it wanted to- I haven't had any of those intermittent symptoms with this car, and I certainly never had any idle/running issues like this from a BCM before...

I'm stumped?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

No one has ideas?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:09 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a friend with a similar problem. Turned out the battery cable was loose on the ground side. Did not feel loose at all but just a slight turn got the car up and going. Side terminal battery. We pulled both sides and cleaned and retightend and this phantom stalling and no start issue never returned. I wouldnt have believed it if i hadnt seen it.

ANother case with my friends moms malibu. Similar issue. Real weird electrical problems. She had a Motomaster battery. SIde terminal again. This time i guess the flat cable end flattened a shade and also the screw that goes into the battery bottomed out on the battery terminal side. We simply put a washer in between the screw and cable end so the screw wouldnt bottom out in the battery. Battery terminal wasnt threaded deep enough.

I would start there. Then, i also had a weird electrical issue with a 99 GMC Envoy. Weird things like your describing. I thought BCM too. Turned out it was serious corrosion on the bottom side of the underhood fuse panel.
May wanna look there.

CHeck your fuses too. If any are blown, this may lead to the issue.

CHeck your connections at the BCM and the bulkhead firewall connector. CHeck your grounds too.
Hope this helps a bit. Sorry for the stories but gives you an idea to run with.

Last edited by SSZ; 09-06-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-07-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Now I am starting to wonder about a bad ground

The battery is brand new as of 2 weeks ago, but I got in the car again yesterday and the security light was flashing rapidly and making a dead battery clicking type noise.

I through the charger on it and it immediately read "reconditioning" indicating the battery is in poor shape... then after about 5 minutes, it showed 80% full- I got in the car and it fired up but didn't want to hold an idle <<< this still confuses me.

After about 8 startup attempts she fires up no problem and holds idle. I tried about another 10 times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke then took it on a hard ride around the area.

She was completely fine for the drive and laid rubber no problem...I get back, toss the charger on, and it is reading "low" but she fires up no problem

Now I am beyond stumped... I undid the terminals on the battery and they look good and honestly, the car is in damn good shape, so it doesn't look like anything really has corrosion on it.

I'm going to clean up a few ground points today, but nothing looks bad at all??

Quick Reply: BCM or other issue