Sponsored by:

P1133/p1153

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1133/p1153

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little direction here as I am currently dealing with the dreaded P1133/P1153 (insufficient 02 switching of the front 02 sensors).

This spring, I had Kooks SS Longtube Headers, Y-Pipe, and Magnaflow cutback installed. I also had the car cammed (226/232 113 LSA). The car also has a FAST 78mm intake and a lid (been on the car for 40K+ miles). 02 T/A WS6 T56 car.

After the cam was installed, it was tuned. After bringing the car home, it started stalling when clutching in, and the SES light came on. P1133/P1153. At this time, I replaced the front 02 sensors with Bosch units and had the car retuned to make sure nothing was missed in the tune. The tune was spot on and very little needed to be changed.

I brought the car home, and the same codes appeared. I brought the car to an exhaust shop and had the entire exhaust welded as I suspected the codes where being thrown due to an exhaust leak. It had also been about 2000 miles since the headers were installed, so I retightened the header bolts to insure it wasn't the headers leaking. After driving about another 200 miles, P1133 and P1153 reappeared.

I had read that the 02 extension wires can some times cause these codes to occur, so I replaced the Bosch units (which only had about 600 miles on them) with Denso units that are used on the Corvettes (they have longer wiring, so no need for 02 wire extenders). I reset the codes and drove the car. Less than 100 miles later, the codes that are the bane of my existence reappeared.

At this point, I'm not sure where to do. Because the codes are appearing simultaneously on new 02s, I have a feeling it has something to do with intake or vacuum...but this is only a guess. MAF? I'm reaching out hoping that someone on here has a good guess as to where I can start in my troubleshooting of this "adventure."

Thanks in advance,

Ed
Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Common codes with LT headers, just set them no error reported & uncheck the SES box. I also do the same for the P0133/P0153 codes as they will set after disabling the P1133/P1153 codes.

Russ Kemp
Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Russ K
Common codes with LT headers, just set them no error reported & uncheck the SES box. I also do the same for the P0133/P0153 codes as they will set after disabling the P1133/P1153 codes.

Russ Kemp
Thanks for the reply, Russ.

What are the con's to doing this? The car is not a daily driver, but it is a car I'd like to be able to take on long (500+ mile) trips without issue. The 02's are necessary for the air/fuel ratio, correct? I'd like to not have a car in open loop all the time giving me awful fuel economy.

Could there be any other solutions? This doesn't happen to everyone...so there has to be something making the car unique and having this issue?

Ed
Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Setting the codes to "no report" doesn't turn off the sensors, just doesn't let the ecm complain about them
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackFormula01
Thanks for the reply, Russ.

What are the con's to doing this? The car is not a daily driver, but it is a car I'd like to be able to take on long (500+ mile) trips without issue. The 02's are necessary for the air/fuel ratio, correct? I'd like to not have a car in open loop all the time giving me awful fuel economy.

Could there be any other solutions? This doesn't happen to everyone...so there has to be something making the car unique and having this issue?

Ed
No cons at all. The O2's will still function properly and so will the long & short term fuel trims. I've been tuning vehicles in my shop since 1999 and have helped many people with the same codes your getting.

Russ Kemp

Quick Reply: P1133/p1153