PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost tune

ok guys just picked up a 99 a4 ls1 car it has a 224/230 cam ported 243 heads longtubes, and what looks like a 4inch maf
the car had been sitting a long while so i drained the fuel changed plugs replaced o2 sensors cleaned the maf tps voltage is correct from what i can tell and its still runs horrible
if the maf is unplugged it will idle fine but on any throttle input it wants to die if i jockey the throttle it will eventually come up in rpm but its sputtering and bucking
the car had a tune on it previously but i do not know what was used to tune it be it either hp tuner, efi live i have no idea
question is can the tune go away after sitting a long time and revert back to stock ?
its my understanding that the tune perm changes the paramaters in the computor and they cant just dissapear like that
it is a converted v6 car if that matters at all
thanks folks
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

no...................its still there
Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The tune is still there but if power has been discounted for any amount of time it will erase the fuel trims and idle learn which isnt a big deal it will relearn both pretty quickly.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

^^^^Yep...Mine is a H/C car, sat for nearly a year, blown T56 and wasted spec III clutch. Anyways just got it back on the road last weekend. I had been starting it and kept stabil in the tank, gas still smelled good (full tank), so I ran it. I had to also put the car on a battery tender for a day, it ran a little rough for the 1st few drive cycles, but did not die, cleared up pretty quick.

How does you voltage look? I dealt with a dying alternator last year, car ran like **** and barely had 12 volts when hot.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM

ive got 14.1 at the battery i been running it and letting it sit and idle also cleaned the iac as well would a bad crank sensor cause it to run so bad ?
mine runs bad enuff that i would not feel safe to drive it more than a mile away from my house any throttle input results in it trying to die
i just spoke to the tuner i have been using for my other car ( mostly mustangs) and they havea very reputable tuner there that does ls cars and he told me that the tune cant just go away also so that makes me feel better
i did find loose intake bolts i tightened those up and its a hair better, i then checked for vacuum leaks and didnt find anything
Old 10-20-2014, 12:08 PM

just did some looking around and from what it sounds like i may have a bad camshaft sensor, i get a hard start, hesitation, miss, and backfiring all those fell under the symptoms listed here for a cam sensor failing
any thoughts on that ?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could be... does your tach work? a failing cam sensor will also cause the tach to go out sparatically as well. also could check the crank sensor as well, that will give the same symptoms
Old 10-20-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Could also be the crank sensor. Any P0 codes, flashing SES light? The cam sensor is behind the intake manifold and crank is by the starter check the wires, maybe a rodent chewed on one while it was sitting, or one of those could just be bad.

crank sensor is above the starter

Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 PM

i just changed the cam sensor and odd thing is that for about the first 30 seconds its perfect nice and crisp throttle response idles fine then it goes right back to what it was before,
i did get a cam sensor code so i jsut ran and got one and swapped it out its not hard so i figured id give it a shot
il have to crawl under it and see about the crank sensor the guy i got it from just put a starter in it so posibly either the sensor is not pugged in all the way or its bad,
if it is bad that sucks cuz it has a starter bridge on it but no heater box so at least i can get to all the stuff

please dont mind my rambling but since everything is referanced off #1 cyl if that is either not plugged in all the way or bad will it throw everything off since its first in line to determine crank position ?
also suddenly since changing the cam sensor my tach is intermitent

Last edited by junkbox; 10-20-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 PM

also when throttleing the car from up front by the cable i can feel it backfiring thru the intake when i try to give it throttle,
Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you changed the fuel fuel filter? Did you pull the injectors out and check them?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 AM

i have not pulled the injectors yet there really isnt alot i can do even if i pull them aside from just swap them out with another set , fuel filter has been changed
im gonna go junkyarding tomorrow and see if i can snag a set i guess i could also start unplugging them one at a time to see if i get a few that dont make a change in how it runs

the saga continues just figured out it does not have stock injectors either so i have to figure out what they are they are old school style ev1 ford motorsport style injectors

Last edited by junkbox; 10-21-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"m gonna go junkyarding tomorrow and see if i can snag a set".

Don't waste your time/$. I clean and flow test several sets a yr from the local jy. MOST are junk.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 PM

ok so today a buddy came out and plugged into the car with hp tuners chased a few things then we turned on the 02 sensors and within 10 seconds it was running pretty well had throttle response a decent clean idle BUT it was adding 40 fuel in the trims to make it run nice the maf does seem to be ok and everything else checks out
tomorow we are gonna dig a bit deeper when he has more time and start really workin on the tune to get it iron`d out

Quick Reply: lost tune