PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM opinions

Old 10-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM opinions

Hey guys, about to start wiring my LS build up. Im currently debating on buying a factory PCM and having it programed or should I buy the Holley ECU and harness kit? Just trying to get your opinions on both and pros/cons of each if anyone has any experience with the holley.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-28-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

There is a lot to this question. If your going to run a stock ecm, who is doing the harness? Are you buying it, or building it? The question all has to do with the bottom line.

I have a LS powered S10. I had the harness built. -$750, I had a ecm sent with a base file-$150, I had it tuned, -$350, I wasn't happy and bought HP Tuners Pro (used) -$350, and credits to tune -$100. So just with that, I have $1700 in it. It could have been done cheaper, thats for sure. But my point is, what are you comfortable doing?

If you comfortable doing wiring, and learning to tune, a factory setup can be good. If your not comfortable with wiring, but maybe tuning, or none of it?

I went to Holley for a tuning seminar, because a friend is doing a turbo LS Chevelle. Now, I am no tuner, but I did learn a lot on their seminar. I think for the ease of learning, and all of the extras the Dominator has, that it is the way to go if your building more of a "serious" street car. I have thought about changing my entire setup. Their system has a ton of extras built in, compared to others that are out there. While it is not a "self tuning" system, it will keep you from making a completely stupid mistake, and leaning it way out. As long as you have the correct A/F ratio setup, it will correct to get that.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info man! I actually have a harness from Painless just to make my life a little easier. The reason I was leaning towards the Holley was because of the capabilities it has built into it, along with the ease of use. My goal is a street legal drag car which will be ready after winter.

Just trying to get some opinions on what the best route would be. Obviously like you said, I'd rather do it once and be happy and not have to do it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM opinions