Sponsored by:

what is the proper way to start tuning? Turbo w/ hptuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what is the proper way to start tuning? Turbo w/ hptuner

car is a 1998 transam 6speed

I finally got hptuner and had a chance to start playing with the software.

Looks like 2 of the tabs are straight forward.

General tab - diable egr and air pump(since both are removed)

Torque management - disable torque management.
but keep traction control value stock along with the engine tab.

that leaves with 4 major tabs.
Idle, Airflow, Fuel, spark.

which order should this be tackled?

I figured the order should be.
1. fuel
2. idle
3. air flow
4. spark

is this about right?

also when setting the fuel is this something that needs to be set once and forget or is this something that will always require fine tuning?

from my reading these looked to be the main concerns.
Injector Flow Rate vs kPa
Injector Offset vs Volts (and pressure)
Short Pulse Adjust/Adder
Minimum Pulsewidth

should those be set and then move on or should I comeback to it after tuning the other tabs like airflow and spark?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I figured the order should be.
1. fuel
2. idle
3. air flow
4. spark

is this about right?
Ideally you'd want the car to start and hold idle before doing anything else. It would be a pain in the *** to tune a car WOT that barely runs and idles otherwise (unless you're on a dyno).

Idle airflow and spark should be your main concerns at first startup. Then once you got those down you can start tuning spark and fueling at throttle.

should those be set and then move on or should I comeback to it after tuning the other tabs like airflow and spark?
You want those set correctly before you even start the car. Otherwise the car won't run right and the log data will be wrong. Once you do set those correctly you'll have to redo everything (well maybe besides spark, that doesn't really matter for this).
Old 11-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
Ideally you'd want the car to start and hold idle before doing anything else. It would be a pain in the *** to tune a car WOT that barely runs and idles otherwise (unless you're on a dyno).

Idle airflow and spark should be your main concerns at first startup. Then once you got those down you can start tuning spark and fueling at throttle.

You want those set correctly before you even start the car. Otherwise the car won't run right and the log data will be wrong. Once you do set those correctly you'll have to redo everything (well maybe besides spark, that doesn't really matter for this).
are those 4 data that has to come from like banish info or is that something to calibrate before starting?

I dont understand how one would even calibrate the offset before starting. thats a big table.

Lets take WOT tuning out of the discussion for a bit as those are straight forward(for the most part)

In terms of idle/cruise and overall drivabilty I set those main 4 (under fuel)
then i move on to idle. how do you go about the tuning process. Do you tune and fine tune one tab and move on or do you do a global tuning where you get it as close as possible then come back to it?

also which do you set and forget? meaning changing it would screw up your other data that you have fine tune?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything is to a certain extent interrelated. Injector data should be constant and for the most part set and forget providing the data you enter is correct. I start with a soft/low timing table in the higher load upper rpms and rich fuel in those same areas. Cruising areas should be very similar to stock. I personally set the tune close to where I want it and start logging. Baby steps unless something is very unsafe or quite far off. Spark is the last thing I change under higher throttle areas. Once changed you will probably have to touch up fueling again. But as stated above, start with idle and work your way up.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say take a step back and learn to log and interpret the
logs. Knowing where you want to go, great. But until you
know where you are, as well, you have no idea of direction.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Launching!

I've never tuned a turbo so take my advice lightly. I would get the injectors set up first so you don't flood everything, leave timing alone for now and play with the idle settings if it won't, probably upgrade to a two bar map sensor and get rid of the maf and would not even attempt to play with fuel without a wide band and data logger. Start rich and safe then lean it out.

Quick Reply: what is the proper way to start tuning? Turbo w/ hptuner