Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check Class 2 serial data communication 1999 Firebird Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check Class 2 serial data communication 1999 Firebird Camaro

Bought a project, 5.7L LS1 and 4L60E from 99 Firebird in a 37 Ford. Have original engine harness and the Power Train Control Module (PCM computer) reprogrammed to remove the VATS, rear O2 Sensors, etc. Have the three volume set of GM Service Manuals for the F-Platform Firebird Camaro 1999-2002. Checked continuity and verified all wires to the PCM, connected the engine harness to all the sensors, etc., the engine starts and runs fine. When I connect a scanner to the Data Link Connector (DLC) it gives a message “Can’t Connect to Vehicle”. The DLC has 4 wires, Orange with 12V connects to pin 20 and 57 on blue connector (battery positive voltage),, Purple that carries the class 2 serial data connects to pin #58 on blue connector (serial data), black wire to chassis ground, black/white connects to pin 1 and 40 on blue connector also pin 1 and 40 on red connector (PCM Ground) this connects to ground at back of drivers side cylinder head. Have checked and rechecked the 4 DLC wires all are as per the schematic in the service manual. Want to be able to connect a tunner/scanner so I can monitor and check engine operation and they connect through the DLC. Suspect the class 2 serial data but don’t know what or how to check this. Need advice on what and how to check.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have 12V at pin 16 on the DLC, and the purple serial data wire is connected to pin 58 and the engine runs, then the PCM is at fault. But first try your scanner on another vehicle to make sure the cable/scanner is ok.

Russ Kemp
Old 12-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the feed back Russ.
Found the problem!!! The serial data wire (purple wire) was installed in the wrong slot in the Data Link Connector (duh), it was in slot #10 which is WRONG instead of the correct slot #2 . With the serial data wire at the wrong slot in the DLC it was connected to the wrong pin at the scanner. When I corrected this the scanner connected. Started the engine and the scanner displayed engine operating parameters, RPM, temp, etc. So I now conclude that the class 2 serial data is working OK.
Next phase: I have an instrument panel cluster (IPC) from a 99 Camaro that I bought off ebay. I will wire it up and use this as an initial gauge set (until I decide what to finally use). The IPC schematic shows that the Coolant Temp, TAC, Speedo, and Fuel gauge are fed Class 2 data via a solid state logic module in the IPC. I will post results on how this works out.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Do you have an update on that cluster install? I am trying to do a similar cluster install and can not seem to get the cluster to display gauge data. I have the class 2 serial data wire connected, oil pressure sensor signal, tach signal, and VSS signal all wired up to the IPC, but not getting any gauge readings. The class 2 data is good as I can see all that information on my scanner.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I have the 3 volume set of GM service manuals for the 1999-2002 Firebird and Camaro. Have wired the instrument panel cluster (IPC) as per the manual. Connected the IPC and ran the engine. I connected a scanner (actron CP9180) and it displayed the RPM and engine temp (real time) but the TAC and engine temp gauges didn't work on the IPC. The oil pressure gauge and the volts gauge worked fine. The IPC schematic shows the temp, TAC, speedo, and fuel gauges get class 2 serial data through a solid state logic module in the IPC. I know the IPC is getting the serial data for the TAC and the engine temp because the scanner is displaying the RPM and temp. I validated this by connecting the serial data line that feeds the serial data to IPC to the scanner and the scanner read the TAC and engine temp. The oil press and volt gauges on the IPC don't get serial data, they are wired directly. So why doesn't the TAC and Temp gauges work? Is the solid state module in IPC bad or are the TAC and engine temp gauges bad or both? The shop manual says that one can use a tech 2 scanner to perform a gauge sweep test on the TAC and engine temp gauges. So I want to try that but I need a scanner that will connect to the IPC and do the gauge sweep test. As of now I don't have a scanner that will connect to the IPC. The GM tech 2 scanner is very expensive but there may be other scanners that can do the job. I'll post an update if I can do the gauge sweep test. If you have email Ican email the electrical schematics for the IPC, Data Link connector etc. my email is JOhnJarmer@gmail.com.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Teching In

I rented a scanner OTC 3109N from my local parts house (AZ) and tried to do the gauge sweep test. The OTC 3190N did not connect to the IPC. Called OTC tech line and they confirmed that the OTC 3190N will not connect to the IPC, it's only engine specific. Said I need a scanner with Bi-Directional control. Tech said the OTC Genisys 3875 or OTC Encore will connect but these scanners are very expensive. So I am now checking to see if I can locate a scanner to borrow or rent that will do the job.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Default Nov 2015 Update on my instrument panel cluster (IPC) not working.

Nov 2015 Update on my instrument panel cluster (IPC) not working. I have connected a scanner to the OBDII data Link connector and it reads the engine temp, rpm, and vehicle speed so I know the ecu is putting out the data on the class 2 line. The class 2 line is spliced (soldered) and the spliced wire connected to instrument panel pin B6 grey wire and I have checked continuity from the DLC to pin B6 on the IPC. When I checked with an ebay seller that is selling a IPC for a 99 Firebird he informed me that you need to have any replacement IPC calibrated for your ecu. He told me he had bought a new IPC for his gm truck and when installed it didn't work until he found out that it had to be calibrated to his trucks ecu. I have the 3 volume shop manual set for the 99-02 Firebird/Camero and have found no description or reference on how to calibrate a replacement IPC for the ecu. Can anyone tell me how to go about calibrating an IPC for the vehicles ecu? What equipment to use and the procedure to follow. Thanks
Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

bump. Trying to wiring up the guages in my Ls1 swapped iroc... putting in a matching 02 dash.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Does the Cluster have to be calibrated to the pcm?

Quick Reply: How to check Class 2 serial data communication 1999 Firebird Camaro