Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech 2 vs MDI vs mongoose

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:12 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tech 2 vs MDI vs mongoose

I usually use HPTuners to program my stuff but I picked up a 2005 caddy cts-v and HPT won`t do everything I need. I need to be able to access the body modules (the radio thinks its in a regular CTS so it needs to be programmed for a V and I have a dying door remote so I would like to program a new one). I could take it to a dealer but I don`t like having other people work on my junk and I could see myself needing a scan tool again (theres at least one other car that I could use to program a new remote for)

So far I found:

Tech 2 - Seems to be the best tool, but the new ones are made in china and everyone seems to say they are not as good as the older models. So I would be stuck trying to hunt down a HP or OTC made unit for probably $1500-2000 plus I believe I would need a CANDi module? as my V is a 2005

MDI- the new replacement for a tech 2. Sounded good at first as its actually cheaper than buying a new tech 2. But it appears I would have to pay for a subscription continuously in order to use it even if its just to reprogram a remote, read codes, or bleed abs brakes. That rules it out for me as i might not need to use it for months at a time.

Mongoose cable with tech2win. This seems like a very affordable option at only about $500. Seems to be able to do almost everything that a tech 2 can do, but I can`t find many people who have used it. Is it any good? Looks like it would give me almost all the benefits of a tech 2 for 1/3 the price, and I wouldn`t have to hunt down a used tech 2.

What about AutoEnginuity with GM Enhanced? Pricing looks similar to mongoose with similar capability (except that this does not seem to be able to flash BCM`s, and other modules) I think the mongoose is a better option.

I can`t really see buying a clone tech 2, too much of a dice roll if the mongoose is a decent option. So has anyone actually used to mongoose/tech2win cable? Are there any other options that I am missing? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one and it does not give you access to all the modules in the car. Some special functions are not available too.
It is a great tool for the price, I have flashed many cars to stock calibrations, programmed keys and many other things, but I noticed some features don't work. The error I get is something like "The J2534 Pass-Thru device does not support this feature"
Old 01-23-2015, 01:59 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Were you using tech 2 win? or some other software? The way it sounded tech 2 win was supposed to replace the tech 2. However, after reading some more it sounds like you need a subscription to the gm techline in order for tech 2 win to work. Well actually it sounds like tech 2 win has a 30 day countdown clock from the last time you sign on at which point it stops working.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech2win is a pain the the butt. It never updates security correctly for the 30 day window and that using GM computers and login info. The tech 2 is great for code reading, viewing data. The MDI is pretty much only used for programming but its needs on certain 10+ platforms and all 15+ to view data through GDS. All MDI fuctions require a GM subscription.

Quick Reply: Tech 2 vs MDI vs mongoose