Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E36LS1 - Swap/Boltons/Tune - Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E36LS1 - Swap/Boltons/Tune - Q&A

Even though this should be a "simple" tune I've done a lot of research in the stickies, the Banish and Maslic books, read up on the theory behind VEs and fuel trims, compared a lot of stock tune files, etc. because this is really interesting stuff to me and I'd like to help other friends out if all goes well. I have a few questions and curiosities that I'd like some feedback on for my notes and maybe this can help other newbies in the future.

Project car build thread is in my sig and basic tune changes are done (VATS, gearing, etc.) and I'm getting ready to do the performance tune. AFR500 (Powerdex AFX) will be used for wideband AFR through the A/C pressure sensor input of the PCM.

Donor info and airflow mods: 2002 Camaro LS1 donor, 70k miles, Vorshlag headers (~mid-length), custom exhaust dual 2.5" cats to Magnaflow x-pipe to dual in/out Spintech muffler to E36 cat back, custom intake with 3.5" K&N filter, straight shot before and after the MAF, Corvette FPR, stock BMW fuel pump (fuel pressure verified at idle)

Car starts and runs great and posted stock Camaro numbers on the dyno recently, I have a C5 Z06 as well and love how smooth the power delivery of the LS6 is so hoping a tune will get me a little closer to that "feeling".

Questions:
1. It seems like the 69lt1bird guide and the SD tuning guide from the HP Tuners help area are the most applicable for VE and MAF tuning for this project, any major gripes or inconsitencies I should watch out for when following these?
2. Most VE tuning in SD mode procedures start with multiplying the VE table across the board by 1.15 to keep from leaning out too much while gathering logs. I feel like 15% may be extreme for boltons only and was planning to use 5-10%, any personal experience with this?
3. General information on the forums and tuning documents is that flat lining 1.13 for the PE table is pretty close for WOT AFR. While the stock LS1 table is jagged, it looks like the LS6 PE table has a nice curve to it, is there a reason for this and would it be useful to emulate the shape/slope of this curve while still trying for 1.13?
4. Originally I planned on leaving main spark advance stock...until I compared the LS1 vs. Corvette LS1 spark tables. Huge differences in spark advance on the Corvette. I've read that curb weight could be a big player here and the BMW is closer in weight to the Corvette than the Camaro. One blog recommends copying this entire table over but the big deltas scare me a bit. I'm not sure I want to use KR to tune the spark table either, I've not seen a basic "safe" recommendation here for "stock" vehicles, anyone have one or can comment on the Corvette table?

That's it for now, I may add one or two others as key come to me. I'll post my tune, logs, config, once I start tuning especially if there are any surprises.

Quick Reply: E36LS1 - Swap/Boltons/Tune - Q&A