General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new ls1 need electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new ls1 need electrical help

i posted this in another fourm i hope this is the right section, but i bought a 99 trans am a while back and got pulled over then other day driving it for the third brake light being out. i went home replaced the bulb and when i pressed the brake it still doesn't come on but the light for the rear window defroster comes on so i try pressing that button and it turns the light on. im not that great with electrical stuff so if any one could help me out that would be great
Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It appears that you have a bad ground that is causing the brake light to back feed current through the defogger circuit illuminating the ON indicator light. The rear defogger and the hatch brake light share the same ground - G310 is a bolt in the roof near the dome light. I doubt that there is anything wrong with the ground bolt itself although I suppose it could be corroded if you have had a leak. More likely the wire going to that bolt has been pinched or broken.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that fixed it the ground wire wasn't even attached to any thing so i put thaat on and it worked fine thank you for the help

Quick Reply: new ls1 need electrical help