Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mode $06 and Mode $09

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mode $06 and Mode $09

I've been playing with OBD Fusion, a wifi dongle, and my iphone to to check monitors, pull codes, and clear codes. The app seems to work well and offers Ford and GM Mode$06 and Mode$09 customization, but there is a warning that pops up when I open these up leading me to believe that these can make permanent changes to the PCM. There's seems to be little info about these modes online.

It seems Mode$06 is just specific diagnostic data, and Mode$09 is PCM software information. Is there any chance of bricking the PCM playing with these? Specifically I want to look at knock counts and retard on my '05 CTS-V and AC pressures on my daughter's salvage rebuilt '12 Cruze Eco. I believe I overcharged it a little. It works fine in the Chicago heat, but she's in Tampa, and last year the AC was cutting out in the extreme heat and summer humidity of FL. I charged her car to the same high side pressure as my untouched '12 Cruze Eco. Maybe her car is reading higher pressure and shutting down on high limit. Any thoughts on any of this?
Old 04-11-2015, 03:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mode $6 is a request for the test results for all the subtests that make up the readiness tests/monitors.

Mode $9 is a request for PCM information, this includes the OS id, the segment id's and CVN's, and the VIN.

Neither of those modes should alter anything in the PCM, nor should they cause any effects or side-effects.

What exactly does the warning say...?

Quick Reply: Mode $06 and Mode $09