Sponsored by:

Transmission (4L80E) Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 04:19 PM
XDR
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission (4L80E) Diagnostics

Well the transmission in my truck (2001 k2500hd 6.0l) has started to indicate higher temps on the OE trans temp gauge. Without towing a load the normal temp range when warmed up was around 140*-150* and took awhile to get there. Now its running at 190* once warmed up after a short drive. When towing I'd normally see temps around 190*-200* and now its around 200*-210*. No slipping is noticed from the transmission. The transmission has around 228k on it and have no clue if it has ever been flushed. The fluid dosen't smell burnt but you can tell its old. As with most high milage automatics that haven't been flushed regularly the consensus is to leave them be.

I have HP Tuners and want to do some of my own diagnostics to make sure the Torque Converter is locking up when its supposed it (possible reason for the heat) or any other issues. What is the key things to data log for this diagnostics?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you log TCC (torque converter clutch) should be an on/off or maybe in percent? that would tell you when it was supposed to be engaged. also you can monitor input and output speed if avaiable. I would also check your cooler fins as they may be blocked. is the engine getting warm?

Quick Reply: Transmission (4L80E) Diagnostics