Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p1153

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default p1153

Did a search and didnt find the answer i was looking for.

bank 2 sensor one which is passenger side precat (I have longtubes and have rears tuned out) this 02 was recently replaced and not for this code ( it wasnt working correctly during the second tune)

I just recently replaced the plugs, and I did read that this code can show up due to a missfire? Wouldnt the system also throw a missfire code as well? Is there a way to confirm if its a missfire? I maybe answering my own question here but is it possible one of the plug wires isnt on all the way and that could cause this?

This is the second lengthy drive (10-15 minutes) its had since I changed plugs and this was the only code in the system, and I dont think I have had this code before. so Im curious if I should just clear and see what happens or if I actually have another issue
Old 04-30-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

P1133 & P1153 are very common codes with LT Headers. You need to set those codes to no error reported and uncheck the SES box. Do the same with the P0133 & P0153 codes as they will most likely set with LT Headers.

Russ Kemp
Old 05-01-2015, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

tubes have been on the car for 5+ years seems a bit odd that this code would pop up now without another underlying cause
Old 05-05-2015, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

found a few vacuum leaks, and most importantly plug wire for cylinder 8 was resting on the primary of the LT headers...... burnt through the outer coating.

Think I may have figured out my issue I'll edit this post after I swap out the plug wire for future reference
Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

So I did redo my plug wires as well as relocate my passenger side coil set for easier routing of the coils. She runs much stronger so there is no telling how long this had been going on, but I attached a pic of the carnage. Now to get back on the road and enjoy for a bit.

I guess the fire pulse was being limited/lost with the exposed wire resting on metal, so it was running on 7 cylinders, since the cam lope is so heavy I never even noticed at idle and looking back I should have noticed when I was driving it. It seems to be fixed now and the wires are re-routed so they dont make contact with the headers any longer
Attached Thumbnails p1153-img_20150523_104405981_hdr.jpg  
Old 05-26-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And this is why we don't just turn off codes because they are annoying.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

^ agreed

I had a talk with a friend who is a mechanic and he explained a few things about how the flow of checks for a misfire works. im not sure if I have the numbers exactly right but its the general jist of it that people likely need to know.

say the 1153 code pops and you dont clear it. I think it was between 400-600 more checks/cycles do determine a misfire, from there its another series of checks that determines which cylinder/coil. But the process(counter) starts all over if you clear the code. If you are someone like me who rarely drive the car and just clears the codes you are essentially shooting yourself in the foot not letting the ecm do its job and narrow down the fault in my case.

Quick Reply: p1153