Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!! Ls1 swap, 1st start and drive good now won't rev

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help!! Ls1 swap, 1st start and drive good now won't rev

Hello, So I pulled the motor trans, gas tank, fuel lines and computer out of a 99 Z28. I transplanted it into a 60 El Camino and I put a new Ron Francis wiring harness in the car and I bought a stand alone harness from PSI to run the motor and trans. I also put a vintage air system in it. I sent the computer off and had it tuned removing the VATS and so on. Once I got it all installed but before installing the exhaust and the O2 sensors I would fire it up and let it run to get the anti freeze in and all working. Now one time I forgot to turn the key off so it was left on for a couple days and when I noticed it the battery was dead. So I hooked the charger up and got some charge to it. So when I tried to start it after leaving the key on it cranked awhile and was hard to get to start but I did finally get it started and it got back to running good the car would rev great and run really good so I finished up by putting the exhaust on and the O2 sensors on. I haven't got an air filter on it yet but I took it down the road for the first time and it ran good but there were suspension things that needed tightened so I took it back and did that so I took it for another drive and it ran good to began with but then it started to act kinda like it was running out of gas so I went up and got 5 gals of gas thinking that it was out of gas but from there on it would not want to run when you pushed the accelerator peddle so I figured that it was the TPS so I went and got a new TPS and fuel filter and put on it but that didn't help. Then next thing I did was to pull all the injectors and clean all of them with fuel inj cleaner, 9V battery to open them and an air comp but that didn't help out. When you turn the key on you can hear the fuel pump come on and run for a few sec the car starts great and will idle good for about 15-20 secs then it will start to barely run and kinda pop and stuff and if you push the accelerator peddle it will die but then it will fire right back up and idle good for another 15-20 sec and then do the same thing. I noticed that before it started running bad that it about sucked my hand into the throttle body but now it don't hardly suck at all when its idling. I bought a OBD2 scanner/ live reader because the MIL light would come on but the only code was Fan2 circuit problem but that was cause I didn't have fan 2 hooked up. Looking at the live #'s don't help me much cause I don't know where the #'s should be or anything so I'm at a loss, PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check fuel pressure at the rail with a tester. Fuel pressure on swaps is the #1 problem I see.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Ok, What should the pressure be? Thank you very much for your help!!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

58 psi
Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Teching In

So I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and when I started the car it went straight to 58 psi for about 3 secs then it started dropping and dropped all the way to 18 psi and that's when it started to die. Did the same thing several times so I pulled the tank and pulled the pump and when I pulled the pump apart the inside strainer was full of silt a so was the pump so I cleaned the **** out of it with fuel inj cleaner and air and I cleaned the tank out so I'm gonna put it all back together and see if the pump is ok or if I'm gonna have to get a replacement. The good thing is that it is a serviceable pump so I can just swap a new pump into the pump assembly if need be. Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: Please help!! Ls1 swap, 1st start and drive good now won't rev