Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission acting weird after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmission acting weird after cam install

After my cam install my shift points are all over the place, lockup and unlock are also very random. I can leave from a light some times and it will shift firm and at the points I have set in the tables and will lock up as it should. Other times i can leave from a light and it will go through the gears very quickly with stock feeling shifts. When and if the torque converter locks up is anyone's guess, some times it will lock up at 45 mph like i have it set. Other times it will lock up after cruising down the highway for a few min with the cruise control on at 70 mph. It may also be locked up for 10 min going down the highway and unlock for no reason. It currently has no codes. I dont believe its a mechanical issue with the transmission because it has always worked fine up till the day of the cam install.
On the first drive i was getting the P0300 code and the converter wouldn't lock up. After a quick search I decided to just disable that DTC. After deleting it I could get it to lock up but I began to notice my shift points where all jacked and it wouldn't lock up all the time.
After doing some research I found a post from a guy that has the same issue but no resolution. He believed it was caused from drilling the throttle body. (mine is also drilled)

Stupid long post but i wanted to go into detail of the issue. Mods are in the SIG.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the P0300, you need to max the idle misfire tables as just disabling P0300 won't prevent the misfire test. Plus this way, if you have a real misfire at higher speed, you will get a misfire code.

As for the trans issues, you most likely have a P0121 code due to the low manifold vacuum caused by the cam. Just raise the P0121 Error Max Map to be greater than your idle KPA. And also you probably will need to raise the 0 % TPS/800 RPM cell of the P0106 Error Map Calculated Max table to be greater than your idle KPA.

Russ Kemp
Old 05-20-2015, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I re-enabled the P0300 code and did as you said and it has seemed to fix the issue. Should i go ahead and alter the other table? I havent had any other codes. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Transmission acting weird after cam install