Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

untuned 4l60e cause vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default untuned 4l60e cause vibration?

Installed a 3600 ptc converter and it is shaking the car badly! I pushed the converter back and it went away when not hooked up. I was just wondering if the trans tune would have this effect? I think its out of balance or something but wanted to check with you guys and see before I yank it back out. C5 corvette so it wasn't a fun job to do. Shakes in neutral and going down the street. I don't even want to start it anymore.
Things I have triple checked
bolts and spun it a few times in hopes it would balance out somehow
trans mount is solid and so are motor mounts so no issues there. I am completely stumped at this point other than the ptc part number is for a 700r trans but they are the ones that sold it to me and said it would work?
I wonder if the converter is blown or something so I figures I would double check if the trans tune has anything to do with it. Any help would be great
Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The trans tune has nothing to do with it. Something may have broke inside the converter or the torque tube during install or any time before or after. I had a converter come apart once and it like to have shook the car apart. I also had a Spec clutch cause horrible vibration. Spec informed me that that would be impossible because they have never had a balance problem. I replaced it and it was magically fixed. I won't be buying anymore Spec products.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you spoken w/ PTC??
Old 05-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would unbolt the convertor from the flywheel push it back towards the tranny and retate it one bolt hole and bolt it back up. While you have it unbolted see how much space there is between the flexplate and the convertor mounting tab, I don't like it to be more then 0.375"
Old 05-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I did unbolt it and push it back also rotated it at the same time. There is about 3/16 between the flexplate and converter when I unbolted it.
Today I am going to measure the flexplate off the housing and see if it is bent or something. I just wanted to be sure the tunes had nothing to do with it because I have never tuned a trans or had one tuned before. Thanks for the help guys I did call ptc once and I will call them again tomorrow.

Quick Reply: untuned 4l60e cause vibration?