PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge cluster stops working, then works fine

Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gauge cluster stops working, then works fine

Hi everyone, I've got a basically stock 1999 Firehawk that has recently started having sporadic issues with the gauge cluster and radio where they stop working (usually when accelerating or hitting a bump in the road) for a few seconds, all of the idiot lights flash on the dashboard and the speedo and tach needles go crazy and start twitching around. Then a few seconds later everything goes back to normal like nothing ever happened. The only gauges that still work when it has the issue is oil pressure and fuel gauge. My battery connections are good; anyone ever heard of an issue like this?
Old 05-26-2015, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found the issue....the bundle of wires that runs behind the radiator fans was making contact with the AC pulley and belt; one of the grounds/wires was completely chewed in half and sending sparks flying everywhere; it actually caught the wire insulator on fire in my driveway! I ghetto rigged it for now by twisting the wire back together with some pliers and taping it up with electrical tape and got the wires away from the AC pulley. Seems to be fine now...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge cluster stops working, then works fine