Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Help me please***

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ***Help me please***

Not sure if I'm posting in the right section, please forgive me... I have a 99 Camaro z28 just today I was driving and car started sputtering the died on me.. I plugged in my OBD2 scanner and got a code P0336 for crankshaft position sensor... My question to you all is how easy is it to replace the crankshaft position sensor? I was told I have to pull the starter out.. If anyone can give me some insight on this of be forever grateful.. Thanks guys p.s. After I install the new crankshaft position sensor will I have to do a crankshaft sensor relearn? I don't have a scanner

Last edited by Kevin_Ls1; 06-11-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time I got a code like that squirrels had chewed through a couple of wires in my wiring harness near the engine. Might check for that first.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is just behind the starter be sure to disconnect the battery first.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

After I install the new sensor will I have to do the relearn procedure or will the car run just fine? And thanks you to those who've responded I greatly appreciate all your help.. It's my DD so I'm trying to get her running as soon as I can
Old 06-12-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

A relearn definitely wouldn't hurt, but it should be fine if you can't or don't have the equipment to do it. It might throw a misfire code but it won't hurt anything
Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jl sargent
The last time I got a code like that squirrels had chewed through a couple of wires in my wiring harness near the engine. Might check for that first.
This or burned wires is most likely going to be your problem.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

I've repaired several wiring harness that had burned wires.

Like most folks on here have already posted, make sure you check that first. You will more than likely see the wire loom burned and shrunk.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

And she's alive yet again... I inspected that harness not sure who did it before I had the car but two wires from the harness had been spliced and capped and I think it may have temporarily shorted previously.. I fixed it, and now I'm going to wrap some heat wrap around the wire harness to keep it from touching the header.. Other than that she starts right up and no CEL.. Think it's back to normal.. Thanks to you all that have responded.. I don't know what I'd do without this site.. Great people on here.. Thanks again guy's

Last edited by Kevin_Ls1; 06-13-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Totally jinxed myself.. Well today apparently I was getting the same symptoms as before replacing the sensor with a new one.. I'm on my lunch break and decided to go home for lunch.. When I went to go and start the car it was having trouble starting, I tried several times.. I then got it to start for 2 seconds and it died on me.. Finally I have it one last try and it started up but was running choppy... I started driving and it started bogging and then eventually it would get a burst of energy and ran fine momentarily.. I scanned it while driving and got a code P0336.. I then deleted it and kept driving.. Car was still driving choppy, I scanned again but no code, then a couple minutes went by and it was driving normal.. Got home shut her down and then re started it.. Car started right up with no problems.. One thing I noticed was when I was replacing the sensor this past weekend, I noticed the wiring that goes to that sensor had two wires that were capped with two blue electrical wire caps I'm wondering if because it's raining outside of water is getting into it and causing a short? I need to resolve this issue.. Anyone have any insight on this subject? Thanks again
Old 06-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Wire nuts? I would get rid of the blue wire caps and go with soldering the wires and using shrink tubing over my work. I had a squirrel chew through all three of my cam position sensor wires a couple of years ago and this was my repair technique. It's worked great since.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jl sargent
Wire nuts? I would get rid of the blue wire caps and go with soldering the wires and using shrink tubing over my work. I had a squirrel chew through all three of my cam position sensor wires a couple of years ago and this was my repair technique. It's worked great since.

Thank you Jl sargent.... Yes it has blue wire caps on it, not sure who Micky moused that crap but it's apparently been a frustrating issue lol... I would love to solder the wires but I don't have room to play with or slack on the wire, even if I take the passenger side wheel out and stick my hand thru it would still be tough to get at.. I can touch it with my fingers but not enough slack to pull where I'd be able to successfully solder it, I'm stumped
Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Taking my car to my buddy's shop to get the CKP sensor wire soldered hopefully that will fix it.. Drove the car today and it stalled on me twice today was rather annoying.. The CEL didn't come on but I hooked te scanner up and got codes p0335 and P0336.. Now correct me if I'm wrong but my 99 z28 doesn't have an opti? It has its own individual coil packs to spark plugs correct? If that being the case, is there something I should be looking for or be aware of? Thanks again guys for the help
Old 07-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

The wire to the sensor was the culprit.. It's been soldered and wrapped with heat wrap and all is good now

Quick Reply: ***Help me please***