Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed EGR. Experiencing some KR at part throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed EGR. Experiencing some KR at part throttle

Is it possible that removing EGR is causing some KR? I see from 0.1 to 4.4.
I did not have a scanner when I removed the EGR.

I can't really think of anything else I am doing that would cause it.

I run TR6 plugs
I have a 160* thermostat and appropriate fan settings
I run 93 ocatne only
I have used top end cleaner recently
I am using no oil to the best of my knowledge.
I have an A4 w/TCI SSF3500

I get very little to no KR @ WOT when on a 75shot.I sometimes see around 0.1

Usually when I see the KR my LTRIMS are positive.

What would be the best way to counteract this?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes it can cause it since the job of the EGR is to lower combustion temps at part throttle
Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Usually when I see the KR my LTRIMS are positive.
Thats your reason right there. Your car is lean at part throttle. The EGR takes exhaust gas and dumps it back into the intake manifold to dilute the intake charge. This cools the combustion (not because of the exhaust gas its self....that heats things up and is BAD!!!) because there is not as much fuel/air mixture to burn in the cylinders (space is taken up by un-burnable exhaust gas). The car is tuned from the factory with this in mind (ie: tuned on the otherwise lean side) so as long as the EGR is on there, it works fine. When you pull the EGR you are now pulling more fresh air in (the air that would have been replaced by exhaust) so now the car runs lean (LTrims are positive) and you get knock. It goes away at WOT because EGR cuts out at WOT (no more exhaust gas).

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
What would be the best way to counteract this?
Retune the car for no EGR. You can either:

a) get a MAFT (MAF Traslator) and bump up the "Base" fuel level and cut the "WOT" to even everything out.
b) get LS1Edit and retune that way

I vote LS1Edit just because it is better in the long run (heads/cam/headers/etc. all need more tuning ability that a MAF can do).
Old 06-11-2004, 03:19 AM
TECH Addict

I understand how the EGR system works. I didn't know if the PCM would account for the fact that EGR is no longer working or not. From what you say it is not going to.

I have HPtuners.I am wanting to add fuel at WOT but am not sure of the best way to do this.As far as the part throttle KR. You think I need to add fuel? Where?Again,how? IS there timing that should be pulled due to the EGR being removed?

I tried making some changes in the PE vs.RPM field but the help file states this is for 99+ cars. I have a '98. I also changed the PE MAP value from 15 to 13 because I did not see MAP values of 15+ during any of my wide open runs.

I am fairly clueless to tuning via HPtuners or any tuning program for that matter. I have been a carb guy my entire life.

I am not afraid to get in and work with a program nor am I computer illiterate.

I do lack some basic information concerning the tuning of this vehicle. I need a FAQ or something.