Sponsored by:

ECM/PCM starting from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM/PCM starting from scratch

Hello all,

New here to the forum. I have a LS1 build I am looking to start. I do not have any of the stock PCM stuff. Question is, do I look for all used stuff and buy HP Tuner or do I just go with a stand alone system like Holey EFI/ECU and harness kit for $1,600

The build I have in mind is a LS1 block with 383 stroker, ported LS6 heads, maybe 11.1 compression? and supporting mods. Most likely will run on E85

Thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2015, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's completely up to you. I think there are very few situations where a gm pcm and harness don't work in a fresh build, add long as the right one is selected. It just takes someone who knows what they are doing.

Why would you run that on e85? At the very least do flex fuel tuning not just an e85 tune.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
It's completely up to you. I think there are very few situations where a gm pcm and harness don't work in a fresh build, add long as the right one is selected. It just takes someone who knows what they are doing.

Why would you run that on e85? At the very least do flex fuel tuning not just an e85 tune.
So what would be the right PCM and harness to look for ??
Old 08-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

Most members here run the GM "411" PCM, which you can buy on ebay for $90, set up with the latest OS, set to any desired VIN, and with a few options like VATS disabled.
Getting an inexpensive harness is harder - some people by a harness and PCM from the junk yard for maybe $250. Many then tear the harness apart to remove unwanted wires and clean it up; the PCM needs to be tuned of course to at least remove VATS.
Alternative, cleaned up harnesses are often on ebay for under $300. Or you can buy a brand new aftermarket harness for $500.

If you prefer the Holley packages, IMHO I would skip the cheaper Holley "HP $1600" package, but would suggest the Dominator which with harnesses is more like $2600.

For everything you have said so far, the GM "411" is more than adequate.

Quick Reply: ECM/PCM starting from scratch