Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley HP efi tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley HP efi tuning help

Hey guys so I finally am getting around to fine tune my holley system, I got the idle almost perfect. Starts right up, idled it the other day for a good 10 minutes and everything was rock steady. BUT there is something very odd to me. It idles at around 750-850rpm but there is almost ZERO cam lope. I am running a somewhat aggressive cam so I thought that was very odd.

HERE IS THE MAIN ISSUE THOUGH:
When I tip into throttle slowly the car wants to kinda bog down then it will kickback up. Now the thing I find odd is, with learn ACTIVE and me holding the rpm at any point above idle the afr will start jumping around. From 11 to 14.7 then up to like 18 then back down to 14.7 and the learn table keeps changing over and over. I tried transferring and it doesnt help. Car is at a constant 13.4-13.5 volts. Also it seems like if you hit the throttle hard to blip it, it wants to die but if you slowly raise the throttle up it will go up no problem

SETUP:
lq9 bottom end
ls3 top end
BTR stage 4 cam kit
ls3 intake
br7ef plugs
th400

ALSO!! I remember there was a guy on here that does a lot of holley tuning and can remote tune the systems. I just cant remember his name on here. I think it was like losls2?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what base tune did you start with?

Originally Posted by 1320king
Hey guys so I finally am getting around to fine tune my holley system, I got the idle almost perfect. Starts right up, idled it the other day for a good 10 minutes and everything was rock steady. BUT there is something very odd to me. It idles at around 750-850rpm but there is almost ZERO cam lope. I am running a somewhat aggressive cam so I thought that was very odd.

HERE IS THE MAIN ISSUE THOUGH:
When I tip into throttle slowly the car wants to kinda bog down then it will kickback up. Now the thing I find odd is, with learn ACTIVE and me holding the rpm at any point above idle the afr will start jumping around. From 11 to 14.7 then up to like 18 then back down to 14.7 and the learn table keeps changing over and over. I tried transferring and it doesnt help. Car is at a constant 13.4-13.5 volts. Also it seems like if you hit the throttle hard to blip it, it wants to die but if you slowly raise the throttle up it will go up no problem

SETUP:
lq9 bottom end
ls3 top end
BTR stage 4 cam kit
ls3 intake
br7ef plugs
th400

ALSO!! I remember there was a guy on here that does a lot of holley tuning and can remote tune the systems. I just cant remember his name on here. I think it was like losls2?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I figured out the issue. I was using the ls2 base calibration with a GM 3 bar map sensor. I changed the Y axis of the base fuel map to the 1 bar map sensor and it fixed 99% of what ive been experiencing. Although i think its just a band aid for now
Old 08-26-2015, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

So I figured out the issue. I was using the ls2 base calibration with a GM 3 bar map sensor. I changed the Y axis of the base fuel map to the 1 bar map sensor and it fixed 99% of what ive been experiencing. Although i think its just a band aid for now
Why is that a "bandaid?" The sensor ICF has to be configured properly based on the actual sensors that you are using.

Andrew
Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Because Iam still not using a 1 bar sensor. I am using the 3 bar sensor with 1 bar sensor scaling. I figure it should be fine since its not boosted and I dont need it to read more then 1 bar anyway.

I am using the 3 bar map sensor with the Y axis numbers from a 1 bar sensor. But it idles perfect, goes in and out of gear fine, revs like a raped ape, AFR is spot on it seems. Only thing left to do is take it for a drive. Just don't want to risk anything.

So pretty much I did as follows:

Loaded the 480hp ls2 map, selected gm 3 bar sensor, went into the base fuel map and timing map and made the Y axis range from 0-105kpa

Last edited by 1320king; 08-26-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you have the key on only where does the bubble read on the fuel map? 95-100kpa?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The first 16 cells in your Y axis should be the "N/A" range and 0-105kpa. Above that scale it linearly to the highest kpa you'll expect to use. I'm running the holley 3 bar map and it works great.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not use the setting for the 3 bar map sensor under the senors tab? I'm not looking at my software now, but there is a drop down for the LS3 3-bar MAP with the part number listed next to it. Are you running V2 or V3 software?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Why not use the setting for the 3 bar map sensor under the senors tab? I'm not looking at my software now, but there is a drop down for the LS3 3-bar MAP with the part number listed next to it. Are you running V2 or V3 software?
I'm running the V2 software. Absoultely, use the pull down menu. Then just right click and make the bottom cell 11, then the 16th cell up 99kpa. Highlight in between, right click, fill column values.

As for your AFR hunting at idle, there is a delay between the O2 sensor and the actual reading. The system will end up "chasing its tail" if the Close Loop/Learn Advance control isn't right for the application. I was never satisfied using the learn below 1500rpm with my LS6 cammed 5.3 so I manually tuned those areas.

Your off idle hesitation should be cleared up in the acceleration enrichment tables. Highlight the AE vs TPS Rate of Change values, right click, Offset selected, then *1.02. Repeat until the lean condition and stumble are eliminated. If you have an excessively rich problem, multiply by .98 and work that direction. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
I did chose the ls3 3 bar but that only changes the Y axis and the base fuel stays the same. So what I did was select the 3 bar sensor, then changed the Y axis to read from 1 at the bottom and 105 at the top. Working GREAT! Fixed 99% of the issues. Still have one very minor issue and that is starting when Hot. I have to give it a slight tap on the accelerator to keep it on when first cranked on.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I did chose the ls3 3 bar but that only changes the Y axis and the base fuel stays the same. So what I did was select the 3 bar sensor, then changed the Y axis to read from 1 at the bottom and 105 at the top. Working GREAT! Fixed 99% of the issues. Still have one very minor issue and that is starting when Hot. I have to give it a slight tap on the accelerator to keep it on when first cranked on.
Increase the IAC park position.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Holley HP efi tuning help