Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine idles high until car comes to complete stop....wtf

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Friend of mine had an issue with air leaking past the FAST blade. He ended up epoxying to close the air gaps. Fully closed blade you could still see light around the edges like a solar eclipse
I've run both the FAST and NW. The FAST is like that. One reason it has a smaller IAC passage. It still allows through as much air if not more. Actually, it allows through more air than a NW does with a larger IAC passage and a hole drilled. Which is not a good thing if you need less airflow.

But I may throw it back on. I prefer how it drives. The ridges on the bottom create a low-pressure zone which helps with slight throttle openings or closings. Takes some of the IAC airflow lag out of the equation.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bent1
​​​​​​​very interesting. I did combine the grounds on the back of the head on pass side about a month before the prob happened. Don't remember how they where now though
You can just look at the harness and tell. There are 3 grounds back there and two can go together and the tps is suppose to be alone
Old 10-18-2016, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
You can just look at the harness and tell. There are 3 grounds back there and two can go together and the tps is suppose to be alone

ok thanks. I'll try that
Old 10-22-2016, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You should log STITs whether you do RAFIG or when you're driving around. With RAFIG you can just let the table populate. But if you're logging STITs and LTITs, you can watch your car when you come to a stop and see what it says. If it's over 1g/sec off, adjust your base airflow.

If you do have an aftermarket TB, make sure it's set up properly. Take your IAC Steps table and move it 5 cells to the right. And then adjust your stopper until you're at 60 counts hot at idle (in drive with an auto). And that you're still within 1g/sec STITs.

If it's still hanging, you need to reduce your cracker tables under 28mph to 0 in the 400, 1000, and 1600 columns. You don't want any airflow adders coming to a stop (only if you find you're overshooting do you need to add a little airflow to soften).

Next, make sure your timing from High/Low spark to idle is all the same. You don't want spark jumping around or jumping up.

Next, put your rolling idle about 150rpm above your actual idle. That way on coastdown the PCM will try to hit it until the cracker is disabled and adaptive idle comes into play.

And finally, make sure your VE/MAF tables are at stoich or slightly lean. And make sure your approach down to idle cells is also stoich or slightly lean. Any hiccups there can cause an interesting landing to idle.
Man, how much will you charge to tune my car?? Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Im putting up with the "no IAC" because i am already over tuners asking what i expect but i dont get it. BTW - i know it will never be like stock, I just want to be able to cold crank my car - not have it sound like it is about to die out and then also come up to a red light and not have it sound like i am riding the gas pedal.

SoFla01SSLookinstok,

It actually started when i swapped to the 408 with ls6 intake and TB. Got worse with the FAST102 intake and NW TB,
Old 10-22-2016, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel your pain futuref. Just tried to help. Hope you get it figured man.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

well , I just learned some more about idle tuning today! since my dyno re-tune, I noticed my idle is slightly higher then drops as I stop the car. giving mike a call.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:54 PM

Default Same problem

I know this thread is older .. did any one get the fix for it.. I have my tune if some one here could maybe look at and see what I am missing.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 448 Likes on 261 Posts

If you didn’t see the answer in the thread, start your own thread, describe the problem, and attach a tune so those with the tools and experience can try to help you.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Engine idles high until car comes to complete stop....wtf