PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pay for tune or buy hptuners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of the year when I swapped my S10. I ended up buying HPT Pro and it has been the best decision I've made. I have used it mostly for tuning the transmission and other swap related stuff that I would never have been able to do without a tuner. I am just now sterting to get into tuning the truck after getting my WB working and doing a TON of reading.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bluezq8
I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of the year when I swapped my S10. I ended up buying HPT Pro and it has been the best decision I've made. I have used it mostly for tuning the transmission and other swap related stuff that I would never have been able to do without a tuner. I am just now sterting to get into tuning the truck after getting my WB working and doing a TON of reading.
I'm not techy or electronically inclined and I use EFILive, but I've said the same as the above - it's the best "mod" I've invested in. OP will not regret his decision!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best advice is if your interested in really learning how to tune get the software. If you just want a good tune and be done with it a lot of pros can do that. Most of the better guys don't mind making a few changes to your personal style if you don't like something or will help with some diagnostics if something is wrong.

If you like the idea of learning and want to spend some time getting things the way you want them that's what makes it worth it.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Every 2yrs. us California folks have to get smogged. My smog guy says earlier this year they changed to OBDII port plus the visual. He says it's extremely hard now to pass if your car is 1998+ especially if you car is modded with some of emissions stuff turned off.

My T/A is mostly stock and has all it's emissions equipment functioning. I had plans to go mild H/C with headers with it's egr both 02's and still keep all the emissions stuff.
I know little about tuning but am willing to learn. My question with HP tuners is if I do h/c can I tune it for maximum performance and be able to switch back to still retain all the factory emissions for the 2yr smog test?

Quick Reply: pay for tune or buy hptuners?