Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Trans Am idling strange when cold! help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am idling strange when cold! help please

I noticed the following in my 2002 Trans am idling, and i will need your help guys:

The car is cold, I run it … wait until it gets up to the operating temp (180-185), then i see at idle my rpm is 980-1050 …. never goes below..until I do the followings:
1- if I turn it off and on again , the rpm goes to normal range immediately (850) .. check the first video.

2- if I put the shifter in R , the rpm also goes to normal range immediately (850) … check the second video, right after i push the acc and then put it on reverse , the rpm will fall to normal.

--- both videos are on different days at cold starts

Having said that, if the car is warm enough and I come back to run it, the rpm starts very normal and goes to 850. however, in this start, it struggles to start normally , something sounds like battery is low (which is not low, i checked it) , or something sounds like the fuel pump is not functioning properly!

if the car is cold this hesitation at the start doesn't appear and only there is this high idling issue.

I have never had this issue before and my car is standard.

Any ideas guys will be much appreciated!
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mov
TA2002idling_1.MOV (3.23 MB, 13 views)
File Type: mov
TA2002idling_2.MOV (2.71 MB, 9 views)
Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Clean your Throttle body
2. Check for a Vac leak.
3. What is the outside temp where you are located? or do you keep it in a cool garage?

When its cold out, cars idle high to warm the engine up, to operating temps faster, and warm up the cats.

It's right around 1,000 rpms until its warmed up. Could be normal - and most likely is.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lynx853
1. Clean your Throttle body
2. Check for a Vac leak.
3. What is the outside temp where you are located? or do you keep it in a cool garage?

When its cold out, cars idle high to warm the engine up, to operating temps faster, and warm up the cats.

It's right around 1,000 rpms until its warmed up. Could be normal - and most likely is.
I am in a very warm location (around 100 F currently). If you watch the videos you will get what i mean; the 1000 rpms will remain there and no matter is the engine temp. when the car is warm (gauge on about 180/185) it remains at 1000 rpm, it drops immediately to 850 rpm when i shift to R .. or when i turn the engine off then on again.. it goes directly to 850 rpm as normal idle.. please watch the video.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Is that noise that sounds like a bird chirping 5-7 times near the end of the second video a car noise, or is it in fact a bird?

If that's a car noise, that's weird.

Is your transmission manual or auto? The reverse thing might indicate something transmission related if it's an auto. If it's a stick, might indicate a loose ground in the console.

Try this - Remove the connector for the TPS and the IAC. key on, engine off (ON, not accessory power) for a few minutes. Key off, plug back in the sensors and start the car. That's the idle relearn procedure. Might be all it needs...
Old 10-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Is that noise that sounds like a bird chirping 5-7 times near the end of the second video a car noise, or is it in fact a bird?

If that's a car noise, that's weird.

Is your transmission manual or auto? The reverse thing might indicate something transmission related if it's an auto. If it's a stick, might indicate a loose ground in the console.

Try this - Remove the connector for the TPS and the IAC. key on, engine off (ON, not accessory power) for a few minutes. Key off, plug back in the sensors and start the car. That's the idle relearn procedure. Might be all it needs...
surely that's a bird

This is a manual trans .. if it is really a console grounding issue, would it be such a problem to trace the source and fix?? or just leave it as it is

I will try the idle relearn procedure , and check if that helps! thank you so much.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by marunos
surely that's a bird This is a manual trans .. if it is really a console grounding issue, would it be such a problem to trace the source and fix?? or just leave it as it is I will try the idle relearn procedure , and check if that helps! thank you so much.
There aren't too many wires in there. I only asked because it's odd that going into reverse on a stick makes a difference in idle unless the shifter is pulling a wire or something.

As to the bird, I can't hear sounds like that with the car running. Something about long tubes and lifters. So I wanted to make sure.

Hope the idle learn helps

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am idling strange when cold! help please