PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is causing my car to stall when pushing in clutch after coasting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Default What is causing my car to stall when pushing in clutch after coasting?

ok, still fighting some issues with the car stalling when coming to a stop. I have been able to pinpoint how it happens and I'm hoping someone can tell me which parameter is related to that condition. I have verified that I don't have any vacuum leaks, etc.

If I'm cruising along with TPS at about 5%, and need to slow down for a red light, sometimes I will depress the clutch and put the car in neutral. Revs drop, come down to about 900-1000ish, and generally stay solid until the vehicle comes to a stop. No problem.

However, same scenario, cruising along with minor throttle input, and I take my foot off the gas to coast (0% TPS for at least 5 seconds or more, roughly); after the car has been decel'ing in gear for a few seconds, if I then push in the clutch and put it in neutral, the revs will controllably drop to 0 and the car stalls completely. I can recreate this time after time. Is this a function of running idle airflow? Why does it only do this after I've been coasting for a few seconds? Perhaps the throttle follower has already decayed away and there is no airflow left?

I am posting up my log and tune - I also noticed that the timing is doing some crazy things while the car is in the process of stalling. Could be something else to look at. Pretty frustrating stuff since the car drives around town pretty nicely otherwise.

Here is my tune and a log of the stall events

The stall event starts at frame 2400

I push in the clutch at frame 2403

Timing goes beserk immediately after (full advance).

Another stall condition starts to occur around frame 2779 when I push in the clutch again after a long decel (5 seconds) in gear (coasting down). However this time I blip the throttle to save it. Timing again goes beserk leading up to it.

I am wondering if it is being caused by a lack of airflow or incorrect timing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably a bit confused with your main spark and idle spark being so different in the idle RPM area.

You have a 32* plateau on the idle tables.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The throttle cracker table is only used with the clutch pedal out. For the clutch in issue, you need to enable the rolling idle tables. Start with 1 g/sec in the 2 mph & up cells. And set the enable & disable speeds the same as your throttle cracker.

32 degrees idle timing is too high for the underspeed spark table to be effective. I would lower it to 26.

Russ Kemp
Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of repurcussions are involved in just copying main spark tables over to idle spark?

Thanks for the tip on the rolling idle, I will give that a try today.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep in mind - when you clutch-in and shift to neutral you probably let the clutch out. In that case the TC is still active as long as you're above the de-activate speed. The PCM only know if the clutch is in or out, not if the trans is in neutral.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

The PCM doesn't even know what the clutch is doing at this point. I do not have the BMW clutch pedal wired up to the PCM, which came out of an automatic '03 Express 3500.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the clutch is not wired up then you are not using the cracker tables properly. You can use rolling idle as a bandaid but wiring in the pedal is the better way to do it.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll take a look when I get home. Should be a simple fix.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last night I made the changes - turned on rolling idle to enable above 2mph and shut off below 1mph. The table was zero'd out so I started with 1 g/s which actually ended up being pretty damn close to what I needed. It seemed like it needed a bit more so I doubled it and that ended up being too much, so I backed it down to 1.5 and it works well. I may end up taking just a hair more out. I have only put about 20 miles on it since the fix but it's much happier now. I also took out that timing in the idle tables (both P/N and in gear) down to 26* and it seemed to help. I will continue to drive it and see if I can find anything else that needs work.

Thanks all very much for your help!

Subeone: feel free to make any suggestions based on what you see
Old 06-27-2020, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Russ K
The throttle cracker table is only used with the clutch pedal out. For the clutch in issue, you need to enable the rolling idle tables. Start with 1 g/sec in the 2 mph & up cells. And set the enable & disable speeds the same as your throttle cracker.

32 degrees idle timing is too high for the underspeed spark table to be effective. I would lower it to 26.

Russ Kemp
Thank you! I did what you advised and no more stalling when I press the clutch in!!!!!

Quick Reply: What is causing my car to stall when pushing in clutch after coasting?