PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed flash for TH-400 car

Old 12-01-2015, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 6 Speed flash for TH-400 car

I always heard to put in a 6 speed tune file for a TH-400.
How do I do this with HPT.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

you heard wrong
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 AM
9 Second Club

Care to elaborate.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
I always heard to put in a 6 speed tune file for a TH-400.
How do I do this with HPT.
Thanks
You are correct. It is definitely best to flash it over to a manual so the computer is not looking for anything transmission related.

Years ago I used to just delete all the codes for the auto transmission and not flash them over to a manual and had several vehicle start doing really weird things with timing. As soon as I flashed them over to a manual they went back to normal and have never done it again. Will it work deleting codes, probably but its easier just to do it right and make it a manual and not potentially cause any issues later IMO.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM
9 Second Club

Thank you Sir!
Still new to this HPT, been playing around with it, just haven't figured out to get from the auto mode to manual mode to flash it.
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
You are correct. It is definitely best to flash it over to a manual so the computer is not looking for anything transmission related.

Years ago I used to just delete all the codes for the auto transmission and not flash them over to a manual and had several vehicle start doing really weird things with timing. As soon as I flashed them over to a manual they went back to normal and have never done it again. Will it work deleting codes, probably but its easier just to do it right and make it a manual and not potentially cause any issues later IMO.
x2 I flashed in a M6 file before removing the 6L80 so it wasn't looking for the TCM. With the manual file everything works fine with the TH400. You do need to jump the GMLAN/CANBUS wires on the trans harness if vehicle is so equipped.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
Thank you Sir!
Still new to this HPT, been playing around with it, just haven't figured out to get from the auto mode to manual mode to flash it.
Any help will be appreciated.
you need a manual OS. Your original OS doesnt work.

Ive used manuals, and autos on 60 and 80e OS's, never have had an issue.
if you are using an e38 or anything with a separate T42, you'll need to flash a manual OS.

cheers
Old 12-02-2015, 12:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by subeone
you need a manual OS. Your original OS doesnt work.

Ive used manuals, and autos on 60 and 80e OS's, never have had an issue.
if you are using an e38 or anything with a separate T42, you'll need to flash a manual OS.

cheers
Manuals and auto's can have the same OS. For example there is a 2002 camaro 12212156 OS in both manual and auto.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subeone
you heard wrong
Not this ^

This ^
Old 12-02-2015, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done both ways and got good results, never had weird behavior with timing or anything.
It's not always possible/practical to change to a manual OS so you have to learn to think outside the box and work with what you have.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Manuals and auto's can have the same OS. For example there is a 2002 camaro 12212156 OS in both manual and auto.

I am aware of that. Based on that, even GM has automatic OS's running manual fbodies, hence why you don't need a manual transmission operating system or 'segment swap' to run a manual or a th400. There's no need to switch to a manual OS since even from GM they come with an automatic segment on the calibration yet with a t56.

When I said he needs a new OS is the fact that he is "searching" for some magic option on his current file to convert it to manual, in which there is a drop down menu on the transmission portion that allows you to select "manual" but doesn't do anything. In order for him to not get any MIL without doing no error reported on em, he needs an OS from a manual. I'm sure you know this, but he doesn't, and may need to pay an extra 100$ just to do that which for what I said, you don't need to change anything if you go from an auto OS then slap in a th400 or m6.

Last edited by subeone; 12-02-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:54 AM
9 Second Club

Still lost as ever. LOL.
How do I go about changing it over to manual?
Car is tune in CLSD, been running this way for acouple of years now.
100% racecar. Either idle or WOT.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You get a calibration from the same type of vehicle with a manual transmission and do a Write Entire of that file to your PCM. Model year of the file must be compatible with the PCM you are writing it to. And the rule with HP Tuners is you have to have a license for the file you are writing and the file that is currently in the PCM. So converting it to a manual could cost you some credits. You will then need to copy the tune over to the new calibration. And there will be some tables shouldn't be copied exactly because of the difference between auto and manual calibrations. Don't take offense, but i've been seeing your posts here for a while and I would guess you are still going to be lost.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

LOL! Yeah, can't seem to get a grasp on this tuning but still trying to learn. I'm making little steps though.
I'll get my tuner to flash the manual file. I really need to sit down with him and learn this stuff. Never seem to have time, so I'm trying to learn this on my own with the help of this site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 Speed flash for TH-400 car