PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who can I go to for a decent base tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who can I go to for a decent base tune?

I put together a high compression H/C 6.0L for my wife's truck. I started it and drove it on the stock 4.8 tune. It wouldn't idle and seemed more sluggish than the stock 4.8 it replaced. I decided I needed to learn to tune for myself (been getting burned by shops the last few years). I bought hp tuners, but I need help with a base tune to not hurt anything while I learn to tune. So far it has tons of KR and is constantly throwing the random misfire code. I'm willing to pay, I'm just not sure who to ask. All the shops I thought were the best back then have fallen off lately.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Check out username NicD. He doesn't post very much, but he's damn good.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

LSX power tuning also, Lorenz. He's got a lot of good reviews on here and really knowledgeable guy too.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I looked into it and another member convinced me to just take a tuning course.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

FYI, when I switched from stock cam to even a mild drop in Cam Motion cam in my 1999 Silverado it would throw false KR all the time.

The fix was to upload a complete tune file with the operating system from a 2002 truck and then tune that file instead of the stock one. Worked like a charm at eliminating the false KR.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SickSilverado
Thanks guys. I looked into it and another member convinced me to just take a tuning course.
What type of course? Do they offer it online?
Old 02-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Its the tuning school. I bought the learn at home course and I'm also gonna go take the course in person later on. So far the book has been a great read, but I'm having a horrible time with the truck. Me and my wife took it on a short 1 mile drive and almost didn't make it home. The first two stop signs, it idled good and ran fine. We got it up to maybe 30mph and came to the third stop and it died on deceleration. It started and we made it across the highway but it died as soon as we got across. We got it started about 10 times but couldn't manage to keep it running in drive. Had to push it off the road. Ended up having to rev it in neutral and slam it in drive. Any brake and it would die.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have HP Tuners, look in the tune repository and find a stock 6.0 tune. Look for one with your injector info and cam specs.

Last edited by dw456post; 02-13-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SickSilverado
Its the tuning school. I bought the learn at home course and I'm also gonna go take the course in person later on. So far the book has been a great read, but I'm having a horrible time with the truck. Me and my wife took it on a short 1 mile drive and almost didn't make it home. The first two stop signs, it idled good and ran fine. We got it up to maybe 30mph and came to the third stop and it died on deceleration. It started and we made it across the highway but it died as soon as we got across. We got it started about 10 times but couldn't manage to keep it running in drive. Had to push it off the road. Ended up having to rev it in neutral and slam it in drive. Any brake and it would die.
Add 10% to your entire MAF or VE (whichever one you are tuning) and then drive it for at least 20mins before you do any logging.

Quick Reply: Who can I go to for a decent base tune?