Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wideband bouncing around and reading erratic on VCM scanner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New wideband bouncing around and reading erratic on VCM scanner

So, i bought HP Pro and an AEM 30-4110 wideband on amazon. I hooked up the wideband and it seems to work just fine at idle. It reads really steady 14.5 - 14.9 or so moving around a little bit here and there. However, when driving around it jumps around from 13.8 to 15.1 or so. The little guage light looks like a fast moving ping pong ball bouncing back and forth between these values. It never stays steady at all when driving around.

Also, when I plug in the wideband to the HP pro box, the readings are just as erratic but at a much faster rate. It looks like an earthquake reading on a seismograph.

Ive done searches and havent been able to find much. The wideband is screwed into a bung on the header collector and the ground is screwed on a metal bracket under the dash/steering wheel.

What is causing this? Any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I understand you correctly it sounds like normal readings. Not familiar with that particular gauge but I can tell you my wife and is in a constant state of change and if I data log the output it looks like a Richter scale during an earthquake as you describe. The engine is in a constant state of flux. The only way you would see those numbers steady state is the engine is off, the gauge is busted, or the response rate of the gauge is complete crap.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Closed loop... The constant switching of the O2s causes it to look like that.

Go Open Loop and the wideband reading smooths out quite a lot. Tune in OL with the Wideband or use the Narrowbands for closed loop tuning. Or do both and make sure it's right for both SD and MAF.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Closed loop... The constant switching of the O2s causes it to look like that.

Go Open Loop and the wideband reading smooths out quite a lot. Tune in OL with the Wideband or use the Narrowbands for closed loop tuning. Or do both and make sure it's right for both SD and MAF.
great that makes sense. I never went out and got the car into open look because I was frustrated that it didnt seem to be working lol . But now that I think about it, when I accelerate hard the guage stays pretty consistent.

Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: New wideband bouncing around and reading erratic on VCM scanner