PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo LSX Mustang high idle when moving...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LSX Mustang high idle when moving...need help!

This high idle is kicking my ***!

My car is a turbo sbe 5.3. ls6 intake/tb. th400 trans, stock 0411 pcm and custom harness.

Heres whats going on. Once its fully warmed up; roughly 20-30 mins of driving it will start to idle high when its moving. Around 1500-1800 rpms or so regardless of what gear its in, and once i come to a complete stop it takes about 2 seconds and it will drop to a normal idle around 800ish.

I'm using an f body cluster and an electronic th400 speed sensor. And i installed a new IAC motor as the old one was indeed sticking.

Heres the deal though, this problem didn't start until i had the car tuned. it runs great, makes great power but he cant seem to figure out this idle issue. I reverted back to the base tune that was in the car just to get it on the road, and it still acts up. aside from the idle tables (throttle cracker/follower and airflow) is there another table i should be looking at? I am in contact with my tuner, who im confident will eventually get it, but we are a couple hours apart and its hard to diagnose it over the phone.

I have hptuners and can make some small adjustments but im not terribly comfortable just winging it.

anyone willing to take a look at the .hpt file and see what they think?

Edit: I should note, I'm confident there's no vacuum leak, I've double checked every possible source.

thanks fellas

Last edited by phat_ridegt; 05-01-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phat_ridegt
This high idle is kicking my ***!

My car is a turbo sbe 5.3. ls6 intake/tb. th400 trans, stock 0411 pcm and custom harness.

Heres whats going on. Once its fully warmed up; roughly 20-30 mins of driving it will start to idle high when its moving. Around 1500-1800 rpms or so regardless of what gear its in, and once i come to a complete stop it takes about 2 seconds and it will drop to a normal idle around 800ish.

I'm using an f body cluster and an electronic th400 speed sensor. And i installed a new IAC motor as the old one was indeed sticking.

Heres the deal though, this problem didn't start until i had the car tuned. it runs great, makes great power but he cant seem to figure out this idle issue. I reverted back to the base tune that was in the car just to get it on the road, and it still acts up. aside from the idle tables (throttle cracker/follower and airflow) is there another table i should be looking at? I am in contact with my tuner, who im confident will eventually get it, but we are a couple hours apart and its hard to diagnose it over the phone.

I have hptuners and can make some small adjustments but im not terribly comfortable just winging it.

anyone willing to take a look at the .hpt file and see what they think?

Edit: I should note, I'm confident there's no vacuum leak, I've double checked every possible source.

thanks fellas
It's likely the throttle cracker tables. As a quick test, just go to Idle>Airflow and bump the throttle cracker activation speed to 255 and deac to 254. I'll bet that fixes it.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kevin87turbot
It's likely the throttle cracker tables. As a quick test, just go to Idle>Airflow and bump the throttle cracker activation speed to 255 and deac to 254. I'll bet that fixes it.
thanks i will try that tomorrow when the rain quits. right now that is set to enable at 3mph and disable at 2mph
Old 05-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

so i tried to change that, and it didnt help, in fact it made it a little worse. now the idle hangs up whenever i drive it, not just fully warmed up. i flashed back to the original settings and it didnt change. im stumped??? i cant seem to get the tps% to show up when im scanning, but the voltage seems okay. .50 volts at 0% throttle and 4.12ish at wot.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

You have HPT, post the tune....
Old 05-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

uploaded....didnt realize i could upload it right to the forum thanks.

the guy who tuned it is very reputable and i talked to him a little bit ago. he is working on sending me an updated file. i originally had a sticking iac motor when he first tuned the car, i have since replaced it but its tough because we are far apart to make adjustments.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phat_ridegt
uploaded....didnt realize i could upload it right to the forum thanks.

the guy who tuned it is very reputable and i talked to him a little bit ago. he is working on sending me an updated file. i originally had a sticking iac motor when he first tuned the car, i have since replaced it but its tough because we are far apart to make adjustments.
Your Idle>Base running airflow table is very high for only a 750 rpm idle target. It's at 118.9 when warm. I'd reduce this table considerable...by 30-40% and see if it allows a proper idle speed. You can also zero the Cooling Fan Airflow values to help you get the idle down.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

thanks.

fingers crossed but i believe the problem was a corrupt file. i decided to load the base file i had before it was tuned, and i had to do a 'write entire'. did that, of course it doesnt run as well but zero idle issues, then i flashed back to the file i posed, using a full write again, and the problem is completly gone. lots of driving, wot runs, and city driving and so far so good.

Quick Reply: Turbo LSX Mustang high idle when moving...need help!