PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there anything special the dealer (PCM question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 03:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything special the dealer (PCM question)

has to do to flash a computer botched by edit. What is the difference between a botched flash and buying a computer from their parts dept and them flashing it
Old 06-16-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SPS tool should be able to reflash a corrupted PCM no problem. Just bring your VIN with you so they can grab the right calibration.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

I did that this morning and they told me they couldnt do it. The PCM wont communicate with the software
Old 06-16-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think (haven't verified though...) that it all depends where the failure occurs during an edit...

if it occurs real early on before edit has rewritten the boot code for the PCM then they can't recover, but if the boot code is there they can recover... (the PCM is like a computer, if you format the computer it can't boot so you can't connect to it) ... that's why they say to wait for 10 seconds after turning the key on... so the computer boots up and is ready to communicate...

Buying a PCM from their service dept and them reflashing it is different because the PCM core they are selling has the boot parameters on the flash chip inside the PCM ... so they can connect to it and write the tables and stuff to it...

I don't know this 100% but I'm pretty sure ...

I've also heard of off-board recoveries where the flash chip is taken off the PCM and then w/a flasher it's reflashed to boot the PCM ... and reinstalled...
Old 06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

I am pretty sure what you just said is correct. The reason the dealer cant do it is because blank PCMS come with at least means of communication (bios rom or some sort and this is assumed) that when powered up sit there and wait for commands. Since i lost this the dealers program isnt low level enough to flash boot commands to the PCM.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's pretty well hosed. I know you're not thrilled with LS1-Edit, but Ken Kelly may be able to help. He gets $50.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

I am not thrilled with two things and EDIT. The fact that we are vin locked and it cost 200 to get another pcm added for the same vehicle and there is no recovery feature.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=580
Old 06-16-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

I think someone suggested this in your other thread, but have you tried to find someone with HPTuners software to see if they can use the recovery feature to get you back to a stock flash?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

The reason i beleive hptuners wont help me in this case and this is also partly due to their faster reading and writing speeds is because HPTuners only reads and writes calibration tables where fugging edits reads and writes EVERTHING including the OS. As a developer this is the dumbest **** i have ever heard of why do extra work that you dont have to (reading the whole 512) just read what you need to read and leave all that other **** alone ESPECIALLY volitle data. I also think this was planned only because every pcm that is killed because of an OS requires you to send carputing another 200.00 to add another license that is the only reason i can think of doint **** the long way. There is more things to mess up doing it this way. And as volitle as Windows is why would you even risk this? Corner the market maybe?