Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage drop through floor when cranking

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Voltage drop through floor when cranking

I generally try to bump older semi-relevant threads when possible but there are potentially lots of variables here and that approach could get confusing.
Anyway, when I crank the car to start the voltage drops like a rock then it's 50/50 that it'll come back then start. Battery is new, checked and charged. Once the car gets going the alternator keeps things above 14v, but getting it started is the hard part.
Here is a video of what is going on, voltage is top right gauge. Is there a general sort of thing that usually causes this? It's been going on for a while but this is the first chance I've had to try to fix it.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Could be a few things, The starter could be drawing more power than normal (going bad) Battery cables possibly to small. To much compression. Timing could be off in the tune.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

I guess I would find a friend with an amp probe and see how much your starter is drawing first, and go from there...
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Compression checked out okay when the motor was put together, tune is recent but that of course doesn't mean perfect.
The battery cables are short and good quality (I took them from a newesh wrecked BMW that had the battery in the trunk but am using 2 feet of it instead of 20). I had planned on replacing both it and the grounds anyway. Perhaps the starter is going bad, I can try and replace it tomorrow. The guy I had tune it is left town for a couple weeks but I'm going to have him check it out again next time I get into town.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Volt drop test across all connections done?
Ground integrity checked?
Engine ground directly to batt?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yours sounds more like a timing issue, but here is what I ran into.

The voltage meter is reading the voltage as is seen on the dash board, not at the starter itself. If the wiring going from the dash (ignition switch) to the solenoid is small, you will get what you (and I) were/are getting. There isn't enough voltage amperage to activate the solenoid correctly.

I added a relay before the solenoid. The solenoid wire now goes to activate the relay. I ran a larger wire into the relay and from the relay to the solenoid. The car turns over faster and there is no drop anymore. Not sure if it will work for you or not.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ground wire must go from battery to engine block.
If timing tables are stock and wiring is good, then the starter is going bad.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car is doing the same thing. new battery and starter. would like to know what fixes it.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by xXLindquistXx
my car is doing the same thing. new battery and starter. would like to know what fixes it.
I just stated what fixed the same situation in my car. You are not supplying enough voltage to the starter solenoid. Try running the starter solenoid off a relay instead of directly from the ignition switch.

Quick Reply: Voltage drop through floor when cranking