Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Trouble

Hey guys, been having the ses light on and with scanned code p0420 which is bank one catalyst effiency. i've had this code for over two years and just a couple days ago the ses light turned off on its own. what could be going on? Prior to this i smogged the car two years ago and passed emissions but failed the test because the ses light came on (i had cleared codes and reset the light)..i just bought some cats and now dont know if i should replace at all. any ideas??
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default SES Trouble

The catalyst efficiency test specifically tests the catalyst by sending a fueling step thru the engine and timing it from the front NBO2 to the rear NBO2... if the time is too short the test fails and sets P0420 or P0430 depending on the bank.

If the DTC cleared then the test passed for this one time or for now, but in the future it will probably fail again and again.

You can make the test pass always by introducing an small airleak at the rear NBO2, or by using an extender adapter to move the rear NBO2 out of the exhaust gas stream.

If you have replacement cats you may as well install them... you may need some studs/nuts (Dorman) and cat gaskets (GM).

Last edited by joecar; 05-26-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna replace the drivers side. i just dont understand why the SES would turn off after a long time, its not the first time either. Still the drivers side cat is toast..just worried about readiness for smog

Quick Reply: SES Trouble