Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canned turbo tune cheap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canned turbo tune cheap

For the past 3 years i have been trying to put together a turbo LSx on my tight budget, and the main hurdle is the tune costing an unfair and excessive $400, but i found a way around that. I will buy spare 0411 pcms and copy my tune onto them, then sell them.
Then anyone on a tight budget can buy one, buy all the same parts i tuned for, and have great results for at least $300 less than any alternative out there.
I finally got an investor, so i should be shredding tires soon. I'm very excited.
But if i cant sell enough copies, i lose my car. So i need some of you to get excited also.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brilliant. I wish I had thought of that. Got any room for more investors?
Old 09-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Teching In

I approached every local chassis dyno shop about this, about 15 months ago, none were willing to try.
The problem with needing investors is they require a profit, which drives up the selling price of the loaded pcm.
If i didnt need an investor, i would sell these for $100 each, because thats all they're really worth, any more than that is unfair to the poor enthusiast trying to piece together a fun ride on a real world budget. Speed isn't just for the rich.
Anyway, they claimed it would be lost profit, not selling a full $400 tune to each person buying a loaded pcm, to which i pointed out that most of them would, like me, live without boost rather than try to scrape together 400 for a tune that is worth less than half that much money. They couldnt lose sales they nevef had any real hope of making. These were extra sales they were refusing to make.
The one that answered that argued that most people would prefer different parts than me.
Yes, that's likely. For example, if it needed a cam, which it doesnt, but if it did, and i chose Howards cams to save $50 over Comp cams, but that is like buying WalMart cola versus Pepsi. ( The WM tastes more like Coke )
So no matter which Chinese 76 mm turbo they prefer, they all come from the same one source, just with different names on the boxes. Not a big deal.
That last shop then asked me why they should give me a free tune. I pointed out that i had proof that the voncept is my intellectual property, so if they tried to cut me out, a judge would soon be awarding me their shop and business as my royalties. Never heard fro m him again, but a friend kerps checking that he isn't selling canned tunes nor loaded pcms.
I fear to anger Denmah, of Sloppy Mechanics fame, but selling a loaded MegaSquirt for $390 isn't even close, and pushing overpriced 80# injectors doesn't compete with my planned 42# alternative, which offer better driveability at low RPM, more mpg, and are more likely to pass emissions. They are plenty big enough for 650 horses at the crank, which is my first goal. And they are about a third the cost of the 80s.
If i could sell loaded pcms for $ 100, the savings just in the tune and the injectors would be close to $500.
I will sell rights to this idea for a one time fee of $2000. Until i have that much cash in hand, no sale.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven94
I approached every local chassis dyno shop about this, about 15 months ago, none were willing to try.
The problem with needing investors is they require a profit, which drives up the selling price of the loaded pcm.
If i didnt need an investor, i would sell these for $100 each, because thats all they're really worth, any more than that is unfair to the poor enthusiast trying to piece together a fun ride on a real world budget. Speed isn't just for the rich.
Anyway, they claimed it would be lost profit, not selling a full $400 tune to each person buying a loaded pcm, to which i pointed out that most of them would, like me, live without boost rather than try to scrape together 400 for a tune that is worth less than half that much money. They couldnt lose sales they nevef had any real hope of making. These were extra sales they were refusing to make.
The one that answered that argued that most people would prefer different parts than me.
Yes, that's likely. For example, if it needed a cam, which it doesnt, but if it did, and i chose Howards cams to save $50 over Comp cams, but that is like buying WalMart cola versus Pepsi. ( The WM tastes more like Coke )
So no matter which Chinese 76 mm turbo they prefer, they all come from the same one source, just with different names on the boxes. Not a big deal.
That last shop then asked me why they should give me a free tune. I pointed out that i had proof that the voncept is my intellectual property, so if they tried to cut me out, a judge would soon be awarding me their shop and business as my royalties. Never heard fro m him again, but a friend kerps checking that he isn't selling canned tunes nor loaded pcms.
I fear to anger Denmah, of Sloppy Mechanics fame, but selling a loaded MegaSquirt for $390 isn't even close, and pushing overpriced 80# injectors doesn't compete with my planned 42# alternative, which offer better driveability at low RPM, more mpg, and are more likely to pass emissions. They are plenty big enough for 650 horses at the crank, which is my first goal. And they are about a third the cost of the 80s.
If i could sell loaded pcms for $ 100, the savings just in the tune and the injectors would be close to $500.
I will sell rights to this idea for a one time fee of $2000. Until i have that much cash in hand, no sale.

BRB. Going to cash out my IRA.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1

BRB. Going to cash out my IRA.
your 1st post had me nervous you went off the deep end, this one makes me feel better

OP....that is a terrible idea and it proves you A) don't know how tunes vary by vehicle, including almost identical setups based on what part of the country or world as well as altitude the car is in and B) you should spend more time finishing your turbo setup. Anyone who invests in that idea has no business being in business anyways. What happens when your canned tune doesn't work well on their car cause for a myriad of different reasons? If you've ever spent the time tuning anything, there's a reason people charge what they do.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you plan to get the tunes onto these various PCMs?

I'm not gathering that you are a professional tuner, so you are going to offer a non professionally developed calibration, which will only work with one specific MAP sensor and one specific set of injectors, which is tough if you dont have a kit that includes all those parts.
Then there is the cost of licensing each PCM, does not seem feasible.

FWIW, you pay professional tuners for their knowledge, not their time. Just like any professional. Gotta pay for people to provide services that you can't perform yourself
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Tuning a Holley doesn't cost one dang dime, so why should a tune cost $400? It shouldn't. I would pay $100 to get a copy of someone else's tune loaded into my 0411 pcm, that would be fair, and the only problem with it, aside from everyone lacking the vision to offer it, is that they use bad combinations of parts. No way i could be the only poor enthusiast feeling this way, there must be great demand going unmet. If the only way i can get kine is to sell copies, then that works. If they use the exact same parts, then my tune will work perfectly for them as well as me, and at far less cost than buying a whole new tune that would end up within 1% of mine anyway, assuming the exact same parts combination. Stop being sore that you never considered any of this before.
Ive had great success with canned tunes on modified engines, and sure, i might be losing 5 ft lbs at this rpm, and 10 hp at that rpm, but i am accelerating relatively well at a cost i can afford. It's now years past time to take it to the next level. Surely i can find 20 smart guys who cant spare the money to get cheated, but who want 650 crank hp, and who wont care if 20 other guys have the exact same thing under their hoods.
All the rest of you need to hush, get out, and stay out.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Matter of fact, i will just fabricate an enclosure for my Edelbrock 750, and go blow-through on my Vortec 454, and leave ALL of your LSx junk in my dust. Goodbye ls1tech, not a one of you is intelligent enough to be worth knowing.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lmao

I see your thread here is about as successful as the one over at TGO

Actually surprised these guys took it abit easier on you here
Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tuning a Holley doesn't cost one dang dime, so why should a tune cost $400? It shouldn't. I would pay $100 to get a copy of someone else's tune loaded into my 0411 pcm, that would be fair, and the only problem with it, aside from everyone lacking the vision to offer it, is that they use bad combinations of parts. No way i could be the only poor enthusiast feeling this way, there must be great demand going unmet. If the only way i can get kine is to sell copies, then that works. If they use the exact same parts, then my tune will work perfectly for them as well as me, and at far less cost than buying a whole new tune that would end up within 1% of mine anyway, assuming the exact same parts combination. Stop being sore that you never considered any of this before.
Ive had great success with canned tunes on modified engines, and sure, i might be losing 5 ft lbs at this rpm, and 10 hp at that rpm, but i am accelerating relatively well at a cost i can afford. It's now years past time to take it to the next level. Surely i can find 20 smart guys who cant spare the money to get cheated, but who want 650 crank hp, and who wont care if 20 other guys have the exact same thing under their hoods.
All the rest of you need to hush, get out, and stay out.
We've been doing this for years.

When I started working here 10 years ago, we were providing tuners to companies like Vortech, Procharger, STS turbo, etc, which allowed them to load their safe, proven tunes, for their specific hardware/kits, onto a handheld device that allowed the end user to install the necessary tune in their driveway. It was included as part of the kit, so essentially, free to the end user. The reason the companies that offered it did so, was to make it more attractive to end users knowing they could have the whole thing up and running with no need for dyno time, custom tuning, etc.

Best of luck in your endeavors
Old 09-13-2016, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Matter of fact, i will just fabricate an enclosure for my Edelbrock 750, and go blow-through on my Vortec 454, and leave ALL of your LSx junk in my dust. G4oodbye ls1tech, not a one of you is intelligent enough to be worth knowing.
Now whose the sore one???
I get it though, you want to offer mail order tunes, which plenty of companys already offer but want to somehow guarantee that its just as good as a true dyno or street tune. Good luck with that.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Take a hike....

" Goodbye ls1tech, not a one of you is intelligent enough to be worth knowing. "

Doubt many, if any, would give a ratsass if you never log in, again.
Another damned troll.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A canned turbo tune?

Sure thing. 11:1 and 9* of timing

Do I win the cookies?
Old 09-13-2016, 04:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
A canned turbo tune?

Do I win the cookies?
Hahaha ha your best post ever!!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you retard or just off your meds?

1) You don't pay for the time spent tuning your car. You pay for the thousands of hours of study, the hundreds of other combos they've been tuned. You pay for your car to run great and not blow up.

2) People have offered this service for years. Your idea of "intellectual property" is bogus. You want to sell a turbo kit. Only you're too broke to put together the package. So you came up with this.

3) If you can't afford everything that's entailed with doing the build then you can't afford the build. Fast, cheap, reliable. All three relative ideas.

​4) Grow up. Your whiney, sniveling, "poor me" attitude is better suited for a 12 year old girl than a grown person. Too broke to afford nice things? That's your problem, work harder, get a second job. Others make more money? That's your problem, learn a skill; make yourself more valuable. Stop crying about it.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
A canned turbo tune?

Do I win the cookies?
Holy cow you posted something that didn't make me wanna smack you. Well done sir.

And to the op what makes you think that a tune isn't worth $500 it is what will literally make or break your build. A good tune and you can be making great power and run for years. A bad tune and your motor gets scattered down the track on its first pass and everyone goes home early.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

LMAO at a site sponsor responding to obvious troll!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

yep!!

Quick Reply: Canned turbo tune cheap