PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to buy a new HP tuners interface and just 2 credits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to buy a new HP tuners interface and just 2 credits?

I dont need 8 credits. I do not plan on tuning other cars. I plan to tune mine and retune mine, and that is all. I would never want to tune someone elses car, as I am not an experienced tuner. I want to get my car tuned by a professional using my HP tuner interface so I have the license on my cable and can then tweak my tune as I change things. Is there any way to do that? Or is there a way to sell the credits that come with the cable to someone else possibly? Like if I posted on Craigs list that I had credits for sale to help recoup the $499? Can I just buy the PCM for $100 and then buy credits when I am done playing with the software and ready to tune my car?

probably not I am guessing.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

no. theres no way. the company is pretty greedy. this is a company that wants you to pay full price($649) for another interface if its stolen. lol so i know theres is no way theyre going to let you get it with just two credits. they want all or nothing .
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Pretty much like any other company. They have most likely paid off all the R&D they invested to start the company and like most, the price never drops, just pocket the increasing profits. Wish there was another option to drive down cost. Wish these companies could actually supply low cost options to those of us that don't have tuner shop capital. They don't seem to really cater to the individual customer though. That is not how they make their money. Unless I had 4 ls powered cars in my garage, why would a normal enthusiast ever need 8 credits?

Was just hoping there was a low cost option that I wasn't seeing on their site.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you should try and partner up with the guy wanting to sell cheap turbo tunes.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

those guy are millionaires and dont have to work a day in their life anymore. all they have to do now is basically keep the perimeters updated. all the hard work was done years ago so youre right they have made the money back already. i just wish we could do more with it. specifically the body control module features that need to be added. add a key or remote. give the little guys something since we arent full tuner shops.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

HP supports more vehicles than any other software out there. The work is never done. They constantly have to deal with cry babies and update every time a new model or platform comes along. They had to listen to me cry like a tit bag when my lack of computer skills gave me fits. I think for it's capabilities, it is reasonably priced. If you want one with less credits, they are always in the classified ads. Hell even a good OBD scanner that just helps trouble shoot is way more expensive than HP.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Not trying to doubt the quality of hpt, just looking for a no credit or cheap unit with less than 8 credits. I will check the classifieds on here I guess.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy the unit with 8 credits.Head to your local pick and pull and buy 3 pcms for $150,flash them to remove vats and some codes, then sell them on craigslist for $175 each...
Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For people who complain about companies being greedy, I have an idea for you.

Start a competing company and offer a better product at a lower price.

Oh you don't have the capital or know how? Well now you know why the price is what it is.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

i too thought the price of admission was steep until i bought the product and used it for a couple years. well worth it. they roll out updates and new features all the time. their customer service is good, if a little curt. they expect you to have done your homework on how the hardware side works and they will help you with software technical details. basic knowledge of how the pcm controls engine function is absolutely required.

and I hate to say something like this as I really find it crappy when people disparage others for their economic situation, but if the $500 is gonna prevent you from like feeding yourself and your kids or whatever, LS swaps might not be the right hobby for you.

however there are options if you are super computer-savvy ( i am not and need a nice GUI like the one HPT provides)

check out this thread

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-p...reflash-6.html

anyways if i'm offbase with any of my comments please tell me to GFYS, it is a free country after all
Old 09-19-2016, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny to see somebody complain about HPTuners's price. There are other companies with prices so high you literally crap your pants
Old 09-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You can buy used.

In all honesty, you'll want more than 2. I've had to use 6 on my Nova from failed ECUs, etc.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeNova
You can buy used.

In all honesty, you'll want more than 2. I've had to use 6 on my Nova from failed ECUs, etc.
Damn? I've never had an ECU **** the bed on anything goes I have tuned from racecars to pick-up trucks. You got some **** luck.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are interested at all in tuning then I can almost promise you that you will use all of the credits. Even if you only use 2 for your ecu and maybe another 1 or 2 for a custom operating system, you will find someone that wants a mini tune done on their vehicle and this way you could fully pay back the cost of the hpt unit if you charge them for it.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought an hpt pro unit used with 4 credits and since then I've purchased 6 more credits as I've gotten more comfortable with the program to do easy things for other people that still require 2 credits per ecu
Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foxsl
If you are interested at all in tuning then I can almost promise you that you will use all of the credits. Even if you only use 2 for your ecu and maybe another 1 or 2 for a custom operating system, you will find someone that wants a mini tune done on their vehicle and this way you could fully pay back the cost of the hpt unit if you charge them for it.
Yeah, just have to wait another month to get the std package. No idea what another OS means on a gm ecu. Will have to look into that as well. I would be plenty comfortable deleting cat codes and rev or speed limiters but until I have tweaked mine plenty I do not want to mess with other people's tuning. I know the basics of tuning and and how an engine works with timing, afr, injector cycle, maf readings, bUT don't know the best of those for an LS.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by power5
Yeah, just have to wait another month to get the std package. No idea what another OS means on a gm ecu. Will have to look into that as well. I would be plenty comfortable deleting cat codes and rev or speed limiters but until I have tweaked mine plenty I do not want to mess with other people's tuning. I know the basics of tuning and and how an engine works with timing, afr, injector cycle, maf readings, bUT don't know the best of those for an LS.
It's a faster learning curve than you think and once you play around in the program for a month you'll be fine to do small things with other people's cars. Even if that's not on your outlook, the extra credits are good to have in case you buy other gm vehicles and actually ford and dodge are supported too. Another operating system is if you want a larger map sensor for bigger turbo pressures.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by power5
Pretty much like any other company. They have most likely paid off all the R&D they invested to start the company and like most, the price never drops, just pocket the increasing profits. Wish there was another option to drive down cost. Wish these companies could actually supply low cost options to those of us that don't have tuner shop capital. They don't seem to really cater to the individual customer though. That is not how they make their money. Unless I had 4 ls powered cars in my garage, why would a normal enthusiast ever need 8 credits?

Was just hoping there was a low cost option that I wasn't seeing on their site.
Wow! You do realize that every year, model, and especially every different PCM requires R&D? Try finding Mercedes tuning software, then tell me about price gouging. I can absolutely guarantee that most of their money comes from individuals, and not tuner shops. Your rant sounds like you have zero business experience.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
It's funny to see somebody complain about HPTuners's price. There are other companies with prices so high you literally crap your pants
Tell people to price out a Big Stuff setup..

http://bigstuff3.com/pdf/CY16_BS3_Jo...g_03-23-16.pdf

they'll be shocked how cheap HPT is.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by codyvette
HP supports more vehicles than any other software out there. The work is never done. They constantly have to deal with cry babies and update every time a new model or platform comes along. They had to listen to me cry like a tit bag when my lack of computer skills gave me fits. I think for it's capabilities, it is reasonably priced. If you want one with less credits, they are always in the classified ads. Hell even a good OBD scanner that just helps trouble shoot is way more expensive than HP.
aint that the truth , I paid 4200 for my modis ultra , and another 1600 for my pass thru pro 3

Quick Reply: Is there a way to buy a new HP tuners interface and just 2 credits?