PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low RPM lack of power due to extreme lean transition

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to try and pull a ton of fuel in the VE at the 15-25kPa area first. After that I'll swap out the O2 sensors. Even my wide band has been acting a little funky and erroring out lately. The WB sensor is about 6 years old now and about 12k miles on it. It's an LC-1 tied to the fuel pump relay so it's only on when the engine is. Giving me error 8 every once and a while.

Last edited by Exidous; 10-14-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good find.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little update. I was able to get most of the extreme rich off throttle high vacuum sorted. Above 2800RPM is fine. I seem to be still hitting a minPW wall below that. No matter how much I take out the WB still pegs full rich. Lowering the min fuel mg doesn't help anymore. I'm stuck at 1.7ms on the PW. It will never drop any lower. Because of all this the original symptom remains. Cruising around on tip-out car goes rich, trims go -%(although not the 40% they used to) and on tip-in the trims do not react fast enough and car goes VERY lean and looses a ton of power for about 1-2 sec.

By looking at the tune at the top(have not touched anything in the injector tables) is there any way I can lower the min PW? FIC says they can handle 0.45ms but the lowest I get is 1.7ms.

Obviously going open loop solves the tip-in issue of low power but the tip-out richness remains. On the plus side it probably looks really cool at night. Rice fire an all.

Last edited by Exidous; 10-24-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my 2 cents: I developed this tip in lean condition about a month ago when trying to sort some wires going through my firewall to the ecm. There is no issue if I come off idle at a higher rpm (2000 give or take a 100 rpm)- there is a very small sweet spot-, as well as there being a delayed-heavy lean condition- at wot off idle. I am pretty sure I broke a 22 gauge wire in the process of sorting. Will be pulling out the harness this weekend to be sorted through. I am not sure how a wire could cause such a specific issue as a specfic rpm/ tp. Then again, computers do funky things when not receiving the right feedback.

I have a ls1, t56, computer and harness out of a 01 firehawk, that I put in to a s14 240sx. This motor is bone stock with a truck 5 pin maf sensor. I will be talking to my tuner, if the issue is not solved with the fix of a busted wire.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Low RPM lack of power due to extreme lean transition