Sponsored by:

Holley HP EFI LS1/LS6, no start, no cranking rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Holley HP EFI LS1/LS6, no start, no cranking rpm

Can anyone please help,

I have a no start situation on a new install, like others. The fuel system and injectors cycle for 5 seconds like they are supposed to do, but I get no spark will cranking. I have replaced the crank sensor per Holley's recommendations, and even tried a new cam sensor. I get no readout of cranking RPM, it just indicates stall! I have also made sure I have done all checks, and have above 10.4 volts while cranking.

My car is a 1971 Camaro and engine is 2005 LQ4, 24 tooth, with a Holley 4150 TB EFI, LS coil packs, a Texas Speed 228R cam with .590" lift (made by Comp Cams) with stock cam timing position, and 42 lb/hr Holley injectors. I have checked and double checked everything for all wiring, including power to red/white wire during cranking from ignition wire; all grounds are good, etc. All main power leads are wired (2 gauge) to trunk mounted battery including block grounds, and the block fully grounded to the car frame.

I'm using the base calibrations from my V2 HP software disc for similar LS engines, and currently utilizing the 480HP LS2 base tune, and reset the injectors and set it for the 24 tooth crank pickup. I called the Holley Tech line and we went through all other parameters. This is very frustrating & unexpected. Is it possible the Holley ECU is bad or has bad firmware?

I even tried the wasted spark setting with no cam sync and still have no cranking RPM. I was concerned about my voltage to the ECU, so I tried adding a jumper battery from another car at my firewall terminal posts, to keep the voltage up during cranking.

A) I have a trunk mounted battery with 2 gauge hot & ground cables running through the firewall, with terminal posts very close to the ECU where it's connected directly. Of course the starter cable is connected there too. I realize that the ECU should be connected directly to the battery, but I had thought that this connection arrangement would provide clean reliable power & ground, had added jumper cables to an addition battery just to make sure.

B) I notice that the battery power to the switched red/white wire (ignition) is dropping to 10 volts during cranking.

Do you think either A or B is possibly causing my no crank RPM problem?

Thanks for your help, Pete.
pjwollman@sbcglobal.net
Old 10-13-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you getting any signals from the crank CKP and cam CMP sensors...?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Teching In

I haven't set up a system log yet, I am new to the Holley HP Efi and still learning. I will try to do that tonight, but first I will check to see that is there is 12v and ground signal to those two sensors from the ECU. Thanks Mate, is was born in Portland Victoria.....
Old 10-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Teching In

After an entire week of testing, turning different base tunes, replacement of Crank and Cam Sensors, running system data logs, posts to the Holley and LS1tech forums, and help from my car guy friends to no avail. It turns out that Holley's harness for LS1/LS6 is bad; very near to the (pinout B20 12v output) where the main harness connects to the ECU there is a fault in the wiring. When the harness was in place it actually had powered the Cam Sensor but not the Crank Sensor which of course was very confusing as they are power by the same circuit. After stripping away the harness wire wrapping I started to wiggle the wire and found out that power was restored to the Crank Sensor, but then the power was intermittent to the Cam Sensor. I believe that the two 12 volt power wires for the sensors are spliced together by Holley at a point about 3 inches away for the connector plug to the ECU and then run parallel out to both sensors, likewise the grounds do the same too. I will now need to strip away the protective wire cover that Holley has on the power wires to see how/where they spiced them together. I think Holley should send me a replacement harness given it is defective. This has been very costly for me in terms of time and money spent on sensors and I hope the ECU has not suffered any damage due the fault in their harness and having to test it.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pjwollman
I haven't set up a system log yet, I am new to the Holley HP Efi and still learning. I will try to do that tonight, but first I will check to see that is there is 12v and ground signal to those two sensors from the ECU. Thanks Mate, is was born in Portland Victoria.....
yeah, I was born in the Sydney suburbs, but I've been "temporarily" living in So.Cal. for the last 25 years.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

So Holley's harness was bad...
Old 10-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Teching In

yes, new install

Quick Reply: Holley HP EFI LS1/LS6, no start, no cranking rpm