Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MAF placement

Hey all- I have a 6.0 LQ4 engine i plan to run turbocharged with the factory fuel injection and hptuners. Is there a certain distance I need to place the MAF from the turbo outlet or from the blow off valve? I read somewhere that people are using some wires from the MAF SENSOR and running them to a larger map sensor thanks! Andrew
Old 10-18-2016, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put the MAF as close to the throttle body as you can. So, post BOV. As far as the wiring, I have never heard that before. Maybe what you are getting confused on, is that vehicles that have a 5 wire MAF, people will cut out the 2 wires that deal with the IAT sensor, and run them to an individual IAT sensor in a different location.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

why bother using a maf sensor? buy a compatible 3 bar map sensor and forget about it.

if you're hard pressed on running a maf, make sure to install AFTER the bov and on a straight piece of pipe. If you convert to a card style MAF such as an ls7, then try running a 4" pipe to increase the range of the sensor for "higher" boost levels.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

I have no idea! Obviously this is my first turbo ls swap and I have never tuned anything before. I am buying hptuners just for this project with the bonus of deleting torque management out of my dad's 08 ls3 c6 and my 03 c5 z06. Why wouldn't I want to run a MAF? I do have a 3 bar gm map I bought when I was going to go blow thru carb on the old 355 sbc.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Also thanks for the info - pulling those two wires out of a 5 wire MAF is prob what they were talking about!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

3-bar SD tune is what you want. You'll run out of frequency with most any MAF.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
3-bar SD tune is what you want. You'll run out of frequency with most any MAF.
What do you mean run out of frequency? I am prob wrong but I thought the MAF output was voltage? Either way are you saying it will max and not read a difference with more boost/airflow?

I am planning on using the stock 2000 lq4 MAF on the truck currently.

Thanks
Later,
Andrew
Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

it means it wont read any more air after a certain "time". The max "hypothetically" speaking of 512 g/s would be the max amount of airmass the mass air flow in your car can read. Therefore, if your turbo or engine, or whatever it is, is leading to an amount of say, 550 g/s, those 50-12=38 grams of air wont be accounted for by the meter. Therefore leading to a hackjob in your "tune" by relying on temporary fuel enrichment that might change the following week due to density, barometric changes for that particular day.

A 3 bar map sensor to tune your vehicle would be a better way to tune it, unless your car doesn't reach the limit of the airmeter.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfiend
What do you mean run out of frequency? I am prob wrong but I thought the MAF output was voltage? Either way are you saying it will max and not read a difference with more boost/airflow?

I am planning on using the stock 2000 lq4 MAF on the truck currently.

Thanks
Later,
Andrew
The output is frequency. More flow rate through the sensor results in a higher frequency (hz) output. A given Hz will have an amount of air assigned to it (g/s). You can max out a MAF in two ways. Too much flow rate at the meter resulting in a Hz reading off the chart, something above 12,000hz, right?. Usually found in small diameter meters. Or you can hit the limit of the code that calculates airmass and dictates fueling which is 512g/s. That's usually found in large diameter meters. Both issues can be present at the same time. Tunes can be scaled to fix the 512 limit, but you lose resolution. Fuel can be added via other tables to fix the frequency issue, but it's blind and a shotgun approach. An SD tune doesn't care about any of that.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know the odds pr likelihood of my custom turbo cam with no other power mods plus gt45 LQ4 will max the MAF? I am guessing now pretty likely since multiple people have recommended this SD tuning. Thanks

Quick Reply: MAF placement