PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 G8 GT. No crank, no start. "Contact dealer" message. No OBD-2 contact/resonse

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 G8 GT. No crank, no start. "Contact dealer" message. No OBD-2 contact/resonse

Hello all,

I recently got my car back on the road after an engine swap, and when I got the car running I received a P0171 code(when the car was running). It said the car was running lean, but I was dumping tons of fuel, I could smell it coming from out of the tail pipe. I went through about 4 gallons of gas in 32 miles. I also had erratic and prolonged gear driving from the transmission(shifts were normal, it just held gears much longer than normal). My throttle response was also effected. I even went full throttle to test the car, and it felt like I was part throttle. Yesterday I found a vacuum leak, plugged it, and I went for a test drive. After about 10 seconds, my gauges go dead, I get a "contact dealer" message, but the car was driving seemingly as it was before the vacuum leak but after the engine swap. I park it, check for leaks, smoke or anything abnormal, nothing. I go to start the car, nothing. No crank, no click, nothing. I checked all of my fuses, they're good. I tried to scan the car, I can't get a signal or response. I check power to the starter, nothing. Something is not sending a signal to my starter. I did some research on a phase similar to my title, and a lot of people are saying it's the computer(ecm?). Hopefully this would explain my fueling issues and shift points and throttle position. As for my fueling issue My fuel trims were about 24 for number 1(bank 1 I assume?), and number two was about 8.0-12.

What it sounds like, I have a vacuum issue and a ecm issue. Maybe they're connected, I don't know. I want to at least see if I can get the car back to at least starting and running. I will be pulling the ecm and testing the pin outs on it tomorrow or during the weekend, hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem. Does anyone have a diagram or chart on the ECM pins?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check that ECM connectors are fully seated and making good contact.
Remove them, clean and inspect. Install them again and test.
If you can't scan the ECM then it may be bad.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

My thoughts as well. I was going to pull the ECM to clean and inspect it, plug it back in and see what happens first before I test it. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a G8 GT also. Check the battery and alternator. You havent indicated if you check that yet.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

If I bought a used ECM from another 2008 GT, and put it in, would it work? Or would the car bug out and throw a security code or show the same symptoms? It looks like the ECM is bad, and the dealership wants $278.19 for it, and $125 to reprogram it. I know in my S10 I got a mail order tune, and I needed a "CASE relearn", but the truck operated as normal. I see used ECM's go for $40 on ebay, and assuming it's in good shape, I wonder if I can just throw it in to at least get the car to perform basic operations so my tuner can work on it without paying a lot of money for a new ECM and programming.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:31 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by K10Turbo
If I bought a used ECM from another 2008 GT, and put it in, would it work? Or would the car bug out and throw a security code or show the same symptoms? It looks like the ECM is bad, and the dealership wants $278.19 for it, and $125 to reprogram it. I know in my S10 I got a mail order tune, and I needed a "CASE relearn", but the truck operated as normal. I see used ECM's go for $40 on ebay, and assuming it's in good shape, I wonder if I can just throw it in to at least get the car to perform basic operations so my tuner can work on it without paying a lot of money for a new ECM and programming.
Just dropping in an ECM from another car wont work, you need to program the VIN, program the keys, amongst other things. Really that's not a bad price from the dealer on a new ecm programmed to work.

As for the pinout, google E38 ECM and lots of diagrams come up.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for letting me know.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by K10Turbo
Thank you for letting me know.
Have you checked the charging system yet?

Quick Reply: 08 G8 GT. No crank, no start. "Contact dealer" message. No OBD-2 contact/resonse