Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bosch LSU 4.9 wideband sensor vs 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Default bosch LSU 4.9 wideband sensor vs 4.2

Is anyone running a wideband controller that uses the newer sensor?

Is your life a whole lot better now vs when you only had the 4.2?

I'm getting about a year of service life per sensor, which aint so bad money wise. But the grass is always greener and extended sensor life and more accurate at the lean and rich edges sounds like a sweet upgrade to me.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still using a 4.2 with my LC-1. Having to free-air calibrate regularly is annoying at best. I drive the car enough that the sensor has to come out to do it. Now to be fair I've had the same sensor for about 6-7 years and about 12k miles. It is starting to give me errors from time to time but it's still reading inline with my NB's.

I do plan on running a dual 14point7 oem setup by the end of the winter. I can wire in two full 4.9 systems with NB simulation for less that $200 all in. I see not having to free air cal as a pretty big selling point plus a ton of the OEM's are all running the 4.9 now.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have both and havent noticed a huge difference but I change out my sensors every couple weeks.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4.9 is definitely better for tuning, it gives a more stable and repeatable reading compared to the 4.2 sensor.
It's not worth it to replace a good 4.2, but if you need to buy a new sensor anyways it's a good idea to upgrade. I have a couple 4.2 sensors working good and I plan to keep them as long as they work.
For a permanent install you won't see much of a difference, keep the old sensor until it dies then upgrade if the controller supports it.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Yeah thats kinda where I was at when I posted the thread.

Since then I bought a new 4.2 sensor, installed it, and found my issue to be something else entirely.

To top it off, my particular wideband had a unique plug so the sensor had to be purchased through the wideband maker ended up running $80 instead of $50

Wish I upgraded instead. Live and learn I guess.

Quick Reply: bosch LSU 4.9 wideband sensor vs 4.2