PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still get oscillation coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Ok. I had one that was closer to that. It was 15% lean. I'll try it tho.

It drove better however.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just put the car in neutral and give very little throttle does it have the same issue when you come off the throttle?

Getting VE in line with maf should help also if it's a little lean I wouldn't worry too much valve overlap can play tricks on o2 sensors sometimes.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Ok. I had one that was closer to that. It was 15% lean. I'll try it tho.

It drove better however.
Actually since your cam is "bigger" (more overlap) I'd
shave the lower end cells down a bit from what I have.
You can forget about wideband readings down there,
if you tune to the number you'll be way rich in reality.
In fact I would recommend using bidirectional controls
to bump AFR with timing locked, closed loop RPM enabled
(IAC free to move) and see where idle MAP is minimum
(set idle to 800RPM so there's your one column's index).
If (say) you find your "happy place" is commanded 16:1
AFR, then scale the whole 800RPM column by 14.7/16
(=0.92). Now "happy place" should be at 14.7 next time,
where it ought. You'll have to blend that now, to the
higher RPM columns, and I'd do that by the family-of-
lines view, bumping points by hand. Then, look to the
400RPM column as an extrapolation that looks "curve-
right" and do the same. Your idle lives and dies between
the 400RPM and 800RPM columns.

Key question to be answered by trying my table, is
whether the "MAP surge" goes away. If so then keep
the spacings between MAP rows that you see, and
bump them gangwise to get the right fueling answer
(in the regions where wideband is not credible, which
with your cam I'd guess to be anything below 2000
RPM, worse as you go lower).
Old 12-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
If you just put the car in neutral and give very little throttle does it have the same issue when you come off the throttle?

Getting VE in line with maf should help also if it's a little lean I wouldn't worry too much valve overlap can play tricks on o2 sensors sometimes.
It does not. It used to hang but I saw Follower wasn't decaying. Bumped decay time, and if I blip rev to 2000 it falls back to 1000 without issue and doesn't surge around.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Latest tune and logs. Spark is held steady. Airflow held pretty steady.

And it still bounces. It bounces once it oscillates. Car drives perfect until I try to come to a stop fast with closed throttle.
Then something else is wrong. I'll have a look at your tune file and log.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Latest tune and logs.
You've switched your tune to open loop. You've got no trims to clean up your fueling now, and yes you are really lean when you get the oscillations.

If you want to be in open loop now, then clean up your fueling and see if the issue goes away.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by jimmyblue

Key question to be answered by trying my table, is
whether the "MAP surge" goes away. If so then keep
the spacings between MAP rows that you see, and
bump them gangwise to get the right fueling answer
(in the regions where wideband is not credible, which
with your cam I'd guess to be anything below 2000
RPM, worse as you go lower).
I've always looked at that and wondered why my VE table was like that. When I had a bigger cam (16 degrees overlap), it wanted to be in the 20s in the 800 column, but by the 1200 column, wanted to be in the 50s. This cam is a little better (close to 40 in the 800 column at idle) but it damn near wants to be in the 60s right off idle. It makes a stupid amount of torque right off the line. The 110 ICL and 227 lobe with over 11.2:1 CR combine for a lot of cylinder pressure. And the wide exhaust carries it uptop. But what I see in the VE table is a soft spot in the lower midrange in the 2000-3600 range from 45-75kPa. The valve events make it a little softer there - which is okay, the stall bypasses it when I get on it. I get more off-idle oomph and more uptop.

But the problem is, if I try to keep everything as tight down low, I end up with 15-20% lean condition in the 1200 column. Or significantly rich at idle. I'm going to try your table and soften the 400 and 800 columns and enrichen the 1200 column a bit. See if I can get it a little closer.

I need to get the S60 in with 3.73s. That will help. I won't be driving at 50mph in the 1200 column. It seems like off-idle acceleration it wants more fuel but in cruise it wants less. The issue is it ends up in similar kPa ranges. Which is frustrating. The mushiness of the converter I think contributes to that.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 12-04-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Jimmy, I'm going to try this one and see how it does (got the 800 55-60kpa regions the same and the upper RPM regions close - but used your VE table as a baseline and added to it where I knew my wideband was good and then smoothed together). I also knew my lower kPa regions dropped off pretty hard, so I took some out there too so I wouldn't be coasting or decel rich. I'll let you know how it does. Been raining all day.

(This is a 2.2.4 file so everyone can open).
Attached Files
Old 12-04-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

First, this is an incredibly interesting thread. Even though only a few people are posting, I suspect many will read and learn from it in the future.

Also, I am trying to learn more because my 19* overlap cam is very difficult to tune for a good idle even at 950 RPM.

Jimmy: To confirm my understanding, a high overlap cam will send unburnt oxygen (and fuel) out the exhaust, causing the wideband to read much leaner than it really is. So a reading of 16:1 might really be 14:1 going into the cylinder?

I understand finding the commanded AFR that gives the best idle (lowest MAP value). However what is "closed loop RPM enabled"?

I understand what you are doing, but should the actual AFR
coming into the cylinder really be 14.7? I've read claims
that big cams want to be richer and the opposite that big
cams want to be leaner. Are these claims ever true or are
people just confusing the wideband AFR with the actual AFR?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Jimmy, I'm going to try this one and see how it does (got the 800 55-60kpa regions the same and the upper RPM regions close - but used your VE table as a baseline and added to it where I knew my wideband was good and then smoothed together). I also knew my lower kPa regions dropped off pretty hard, so I took some out there too so I wouldn't be coasting or decel rich. I'll let you know how it does. Been raining all day.

(This is a 2.2.4 file so everyone can open).
Jake: Your idle area VE numbers are now lower than mine with a 19* cam.
My engine idles at a kPA of 60-65 and on the 60 row I have 40.5 at 800 RPM and 46.5 at 1200 RPM. I won't claim my idle is perfect (its not), but just wanted to share.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Defiantly good info in this thread.

If you log with the maf on and off I would be interested to see the difference. If it's better with just maf control the timing and fuel there might be what you need to match to get it to transition better.

My computer sucks right now so doing this from my phone trying to just give ideas can't change the tune.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Bigger motor helps.

I am incredibly lean compared to similar setups. Most people with cams similar to my old cam (234/242) idled in the 800 column in the mid and upper 40s. I was in the 20s. And I've tried two sets of injectors. I suspect the heads and intake/exhaust play a role with my leaner idle. But I also play with EOIT - end of injection timing. I tuned it for my IVC. So I don't need nearly as much fuel at idle. I don't have any kind of gas smell. Even with my 16 degree overlap cam and no cats. I had horrible NOx though which comes from too much timing. I keep taking timing out, because NOx sticks to you.

EOIT also helps a lot with off-idle and low RPM torque. I suspect that's why my VE table looks like it does. However, my MAF doesn't look as screwy. Of course, it's based on real air vs calculated fueling, but I don't know.

I also suspect my 102 TB doesn't help. I can send the car oscillating if I'm in a parking lot and blip the throttle to 9-10% and then let off immediately. The TB slamming shut almost kills the motor. The IAC can't react fast enough and the timing overshoots to save (even when capped at 9 degrees). And that pushes the car from 600 to 1300 RPM. Then it oscillates to catch itself.

But for the most part, the car does not oscillate when at idle. The idle is good. Too rich and it'll oscillate until death. But this is different. It is the same blip as I come to a stop. After the blade has been closed for a while. Say coming from 50mph to a stop. I coast down and apply brakes. Once I clear 20mph, the RPMs surge up. SD CL/OL. Doesn't matter. OL super lean reduces is. OL @ stoich or CL, it does it more. MAF it doesn't do it, CL or OL. Otherwise I'd say it's the converter or something else.

But it's something with the VE table. Or Cracker Airflow. And I've been chasing them for 2 years. 2 Cams. 2 sets of injectors.

I need to figure it out, but there is a way in EFILive at least to use the MAF to populate the VE table. I'm to the point now where I'd love to do that in HPT. I see new math functions in 3.x so I may try to figure it out.

I'd run MAF/CL all the time, but I want the VE for transitions. The car is crisper in SD. But fueling during transitions is cleaner with the MAF. And this is an LS3 cartridge MAF. With the honeycomb to smooth airflow. It took me 5 mins to street tune it with both cams. I did start with the Lingenfelter data and moved it up 15% and then trimmed down the idle. Then it was just 1-2% adjustments and smoothing to get it right.

The VE table is another beast entirely.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Jake, I'm running a solid cam at 237/245-112.5+2. Acts like a hydraulic 232/240. I've followed a lot of your stuff, and I've tried some things out, repeating your work on my car, because I'd love to get rid of the fuel smell at idle. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. Here's a couple things I've noticed:

I can only take EOIT so far before I lose stability. 6.29 in the normal table seems to be the sweet spot. If I go further, my trims start going up bad, and I get that thing where if I blip the throttle and release real quick, it wants to drop to 600. But it only does it once, not an infinite loop. Spraying early in a hot intake valve allows the fuel to boil. Spraying too late results in poor mixing of air fuel charge, but can prevent fuel going out the back. You may need to cut back on your EOIT some. Last I saw, you were at 6.56?

Idle proportional air - I had to cut these values way back. On a very responsive engine, it needs less corrective air. Too much proportional air and it's never gonna stabilize.

Idle derivative air - this sort of follows the "slope" of the idle to predict where it'll be and preemptively add or cut air. I had to zero out the first 0.0 to 0.05 cells in both tables. The next cell I put at 1.75, and all the rest at 2.0. That seems to stabilize the IAC quite a lot, but still allow to to react to more severe issues.

Cracker - I ended up disabling altogether. I find no settings on the cracker that help anything. Mostly it just causes surge as I coast down.

Follower - I added a 2-second delay. I'm tempted to add a longer delay value. My tune was at zero. Then I cut the decay values in half. Then I added follower air to compensate for what the cracker isn't doing. This seemed to be the thing that prevented the dips best. It'll hang at 1200-1400 momentarily and then gently drop to idle over the course of a second or two.

At idle my wideband reads 16.0, but I can smell
Fuel so I know it's not actually lean, so likely similar to yours. Unburnt fuel causes lean readings due to excess oxygen, which we all know.

Anyway, not nearly as intelligent a post as Jimmy blue but stuff I have found helpful.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:44 AM

Great info Darth_V8r.

FYI - Jake and I compared tunes last year when he was struggling with his 16* overlap cam and me with my 19*. Yes, a 16* on an LS1 is "bigger" than a 19" on a 419ci.
Funny - last year I needed the MAF to prevent stalls, this year the idle is better without the MAF. Obviously I am changing many things; I do save every tune.
I will likely also switch to a milder cam down the road. (All puns intended).

Jake's latest tune has the EOIT set to 6.25, same as me. However I also have the Injector Timing Makeup table set to 6.25.
Jake: I also have the FAST 102mm TB. I drilled a big hole in the plate, big enough that the engine will idle (roughly) around 900 RPM with an IAT of zero. Even then I had to enlarge the TPS case holes to get my closed-throttle voltage down to .55V.

Anyone ever play with Airflow -> Dynamic -> Deep Decel MAP?
The stock value is 16.99 and none of our cam'd cars will ever go that low.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:00 AM

Mrvedit, what's funny is I think I did the exact same thing on my throttle. It's a 102 NW. I drilled a 15/64" hole - started at 1/8 and worked up - and still had 0.67 V on the TPS. Got me to zero IAC at 900. I set idle to 950 to get a few counts in there. I found trying to run on zero counts, the car will start cutting timing and fuel to bring idle down when it hangs. That also seems to lead to surging.

But I definitely can't run the 60 counts everyone says to run. I run closer to 20-30.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:33 AM

Yes, big cams are hard to tune, especially with a 102 TB.
It's both a "fun" and frustrating experience.
Interesting comment about surging if/when the IAT goes to zero.
I reduced the Spark Overspeed and Underspeed tables to reduce the oscillations I had at idle.

Why not post your tune here too.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Attached is my own 2.24 tune.
419 ci LS3 engine with 24x, 11:1 compression,
239/251 Cam with 113 LSA
FAST LSX-R intake manifold
FAST 102 TB
Deatschwerks 42lb injectors
"411" PCM

If anyone has updated values of "IAC Steps vs Effective Area" and Transient table values, e.g. "Fuel to Wall impact factor" for the LSX-R manifold, those would be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
LS3-DW42-110316.hpt (461.1 KB, 162 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 04:46 PM

Hi, Merv et al...

Here is my tune. its version 3.4.28, so, if anyone hasn't updated, sorry.

I did update my IAC effective area table and my transient fueling, so maybe it'll be worth looking at for you, but I think it's pretty specific to the heads if anything, since the injectors spray in the intake runners.
Attached Files
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 PM

VERY interesting that your VE table goes into the mid 20s where your engine probably idles. Jake will find that useful info. Maybe I'm much too rich there. With snow on the ground my "tuning" is very limited now.

Other comments, just FYI:
* As Jake and I found to be best, your idle spark tables are constant (24*) where the engine idles.
* Your Idle spark Park and Drive tables are the same; I have my Park table at 22* to get a little boost when I put it in Drive.
* Similarly your main High Octane spark table is constant in idle areas and also 24*. However I found I had to keep it constant up to around .48 g airmass.
* Your High Octane spark table has lower WOT values between 4800 and 5600 RPM, just before your likely peak torque. Guess you got knock otherwise even though your PE is higher there.
* Your Idle Base Running Airflow values seem high and are the same for Park and Drive.
* Your Target Idle speed is zero in Park/Neutral.

I haven't compared your IAC and transient tables yet to mine.

Really COOL and informative. Thank you for posting it. It gives me some ideas.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 PM

Thanks, merv! I'm glad to know I didn't do anything too stupid!

The timing tables were done on a prior version of the build on a dyno tune. I've never updated the timing, but those timing numbers resulted in best power on a dyno. The car makes peak torque at about 5100, and peak power at about 6800. I assumed the timing was reduced a bit at peak torque due to the cylinder pressures being the highest. Similarly with PE, it was set on the dyno and I never adjusted it. Even if it isn't perfect, it's set very effective.

I had mine idling as high as 28 degrees, but it feels stronger at 24 and also allows for a bit more spark correction. I idle right at 0.16-0.20 g/cyl. On the wideband, it reads 15.8-16.0 at idle, and it only stalls when I do something dumb with the clutch, so I assume that I've got fueling about right. It's about 60-65 KPa at idle as well on the MAP. I might try extending 24 degrees all the way to 0.48 g/cyl. I sort of matched it to the other curves and I figured it was on the idle tables anyway at zero throttle, but that might boost off idle torque, so worth trying for sure.

My main and in gear tables match mainly because I drive a stick. My idle targets for park/neutral are zero again due to stick shift. I could put 7000 in there, and they don't do anything. My idle airflow may seem high, but it is accurate. Before I figured out the IAC table, I used to get really low numbers, and every time I ran the idle air config, I ended up getting weaker and weaker idle, and it always commanded 2-g/sec lower air than I actually needed. I finally logged dynamic air instead of commanded air to see what the engine was ACTUALLY using. once I did that, I focused on getting the commanded idle air to match the dynamic air by modding the IAC vs effective area table. Once I got them matching, the idle config logged numbers that agreed with my dynamic air readings. that's what's in my base idle air table. I'm re-reading what I just typed, and I know it's very convoluted. Somehow that made sense in my head...

The trick with the IAC table is to understand that the effective area is for the entire throttle, not just the IAC passageway. So, the amount your blade is cracked, the size hole you drilled, everything, AND the gap formed by the IAC motor. If your commanded air is ALWAYS 2-g/sec low or worse, it means the IAC effective area table is not giving enough area "credit" to the cracking of the blade or the hole in the blade. The very last cell to be zero should be the total effective area of the blade crack and the hole in the blade with the IAC closed. Then, everything after that is a result of the IAC opening up. if your commanded air is ALWAYS higher than your dynamic air, this means that the last cell to be zero is MORE area than your blade crack and drilled hole combined. Once they match, the IAC will stabilize some, which helps for cam tuning. If you NEVER adjusted these from stock, they are way off - especially on a 102mm throttle. A 102 is literally twice the area of a 78mm.

On the transient tables, all I did was watch my trims and wideband at tip in and tip out. If it goes really lean at tip in, this indicates that the computer is overestimating how much fuel is hitting the walls, so it is underspraying the injectors. So, I multiplied this table by really low factors, like 1.05, until it quit tipping in lean. Similarly, a rich tip out indicates the boiling factor estimates are too high, so it is overspraying to compensate. I multiplied this table by 0.97-ish numbers iteratively until it quit doing it. I might have those backwards, but that was the gist of what I did.

Wow, that was way longer than I thought it would be. Sorry about that

Quick Reply: Still get oscillation coming to a stop