Sponsored by:

Help with too much KR...The car, a 01 C5Z LS7 H/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with too much KR...The car, a 01 C5Z LS7 H/C

Hello,

I am here a bit more than just desperate. The point is that, it is being almost 5 months since I had the chance to finish the assembly of my completly new LS7 motor (new block, new rotating assembly, TSP LS7 265cc heads, SLP headers, LS7 lifters, Vararam, 11.7 SCR, etc.), which was installed into my 01 C5Z. The car already has 700 miles in the odo, and as you would imagine I have been working with street tune up of the PCM, using HPT.

The PROBLEM, KR by 2,400 rpm till 4,800 rpm (sometimes even further). And let me tell you that I have more than clear the point that I have to adjust the setting of the KR sensors, which as you would imagine, I have...Nevertheless, the situation is present, and the level of frustrationg is getting high

I have played endlessly with calibration, parting from Knock sensor level in Tip in, RPM, as well as with Global Gain.

Would you mind to take a look into my HPT files, and suggest me a fix? Is going to be appreciated big time.

FYI, the car is using NGK TR6 (colder plugs), here in Mexico City we have 92 octane gasoline, Racetronix fuel pump as well as the harness upgrade. The fuel injectors are the LS7. The Knock sensors are new and were installed by modding the block (different bolt pattern), the puter is the one that came with the car, as I used a 24X reluctor ring, as well as 1X cam sprocket.

Thanks in advance.

Rodolfo LP
Attached Files
File Type: hpl

Last edited by Rudolph; 12-04-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

your tune needs chingos de work.

you have way too much ignition timing.

Your airflow tables look horrible.

Just skimmed through your log, and if your o2s are functioning properly, you are VERY lean at wide open throttle. Stop hammering it and fix your fueling. Thats one of your main issues with kr.

Start there
Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by subeone

Just skimmed through your log, and if your o2s are functioning properly, you are VERY lean at wide open throttle. Stop hammering it and fix your fueling. Thats one of your main issues with kr.

Start there
Thanks a lot for catching that one up... Amazing (really silly of me) I did not see the fueling problem I know my tune needs a lot for work, as most of the time is work, family and maybe, just maybe, take a ride on weekends at the traffic we got down here. The tune is based on the fuel compensation factors (LTFT - STFT), which obviously is far from accurate without a WB, but gets me at the beginning of the journey, at least for now.

I will check if my problem is related to a mechanic/electric situation, or tune.

BTW the O2 are brand new.

Aprecio tu tiempo y atención.

Rodolfo LP
Old 12-07-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by subeone

Start there
Yes, you need to get the tune right before you damage the engine.

You actually have less ignition timing than me, but my cam and other mods probably allow more timing than usual. Plus my fueling is safe and I have a wideband to always monitor it.

To say "Your airflow tables look horrible" is an understatement; there is no word to describe them, how about "undeflowable".
It looks almost random with severely crossing lines and extremely ragged.

To see what the VE table is supposed to look at, download some good ones,
or at least look at the images in post #13:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ming-stop.html

Once your VE table is correct and smooth, we can help further, assuming you even need it.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

One other thing... Gen III KS are never going to work like you think they should on a Gen IV motor. Most just end up disabling them. Even though they are physically the same and the PCM can read either mode of frequency, the location difference FUBARs. Some go around and around trying to clear it up.

Also, the fact that your tune looks like it does and you haven't grenaded a $10+k engine is pretty amazing.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot everyone for the replay. Now, I found the source of my problem during a trip (250 miles) needed to achieve the 1k mile brake in period. To my suprise, the fuel pump went "on vacations" as it "broke"... On the way back to home, I started to hear a buzz from the pump, and car would just die all of a sudden, and lose power badly.

Once at home I plugged a gauge to the fuel rail to find out that the expected 58 psig pressure, was at 42 psig, and by revving it up, it would drop to mid 30's... Fuel pump, bye bye.

It is amazing, as I bought the Walbro 225 lb/hr at eBay, new, whole kit, just to plug a play, and with less than 1000 miles, lots of problems and failure. Too sad. BTW, I just bought yesterday at Racetronix directly, a new fuel pump, as I already have installed into the car the Racetronix harness.

I will inform how turns out the problem solution. And the VE tables have been barely address as with the fuel pump al the fuel adders (STFT and LTFT) are bagging for fuel haha!

Rodolfo LP
Old 12-13-2016, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

A side note!! My LS7 fuel injector data was wrongly loaded in the my file, as you would see. I do not know why I had at 0 MAP pressure, an injector flow of 33.7 lb/hr, and correct me if I am wrong, but according to what I found lately the LS7 injectors at 58 psig are 39.7 lb/hr... That would also be a cause of engine knock, besides, well, the fuel pump problem.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Bad injector data makes things tougher for sure. But you can tune around it in the VE table... at least the injector flow you can.

The real problem is the injector offsets. That is what causes issue at idle and in transient fueling.

The LS7/3 injector data is pretty easy to come by. I'll dig it up if you don't have it.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Bad injector data makes things tougher for sure. But you can tune around it in the VE table... at least the injector flow you can.

The real problem is the injector offsets. That is what causes issue at idle and in transient fueling.

The LS7/3 injector data is pretty easy to come by. I'll dig it up if you don't have it.
I would thank a lot the LS7/3 data As all I have is the flow rate at 58 psig (mentioned before).

I will wait for the fuel pump to get home, and install it. After that, for sure I will find in great part the solution to the problem.

Thank you.

Rodolfo LP
Old 12-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Use this.

Adjust the following tables using this file:

Fuel>General
Injector Flow Rate
Offset Table
Short Pulse
Min Injector and Default

Fuel>Transient
Min Fuel Milligrams
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
LS7 Injector Data for LS1.hpt (454.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Use this.

Adjust the following tables using this file:

Fuel>General
Injector Flow Rate
Offset Table
Short Pulse
Min Injector and Default

Fuel>Transient
Min Fuel Milligrams
Thanks a lot for the info. I will use the offset data for sure... Now, according the file that you kindly shared, I pressume that I was wrong as I thought the LS7 injectors were 39.7 lb/hr @ 58 psig, but in your file it is 41.7 lb/hr, right?

Thanks again.

Rodolfo LP
Old 12-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

There's some discussion on what their size is... but that's what GM put in for the PCM in the C6Z06 and the 5th Gen Camaros.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

There's some discussion on what their size is... but that's what GM put in for the PCM in the C6Z06 and the 5th Gen Camaros.
Thanks a lot buddy.

Rodolfo LP

Quick Reply: Help with too much KR...The car, a 01 C5Z LS7 H/C