Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPtuners Can "Deactivate/Kill" Your Interface at Any Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPtuners Can "Deactivate/Kill" Your Interface at Any Time

EDIT 1:The plot thickens, when I originally received the interface, the paperwork that came with it didnt match the serial # of the unit and it said I had dodge credits instead of GM credits. I contacted HPTuners support THAT day and they told me to throw that paper away and that nothing was wrong.

Now I was just told by Keith@hptuners (owner according to the forums) that the interface I bought was stolen and deactivated BEFORE I even bought it. So why then was I not told by support on that day when I gave them all of the info and pictures of the paperwork I got and interface that this was stolen and deactivated?

And I get it, HPtuners is no way at fault here for my purchasing. Where my issue lies with HPTuners is WHY did they not contact me BEFORE deactivating the interface. WHY did they not tell me that it was stolen/deactivated on the first contact with support...?

They have a extremely small niche market, and I get it. This stuff is expensive, their IP, time spend cracking GM ECUs, salary of engineers. This is no way to treat a customer, no matter how small the company is.

Orignal Post:

Back in sep 2016 I purchased a "new" standard interface from a seller on ebay. The price was right so i pulled the trigger and paid with Paypal.

Fast forward to the 2nd, I updated my VCM suite on my desktop to the latest 3.4.xxx version and found that my interface would no longer connect. I would get "can not open interface". I tried it on my tablet which had an older version of 3.4 installed and it was able to find the interface. I went out with my tablet (with the old 3.4.xx software) and tried to connect to my car and VCM scanner would recognize the interface but it wouldnt connect to my car. I tried some troubleshooting (uninstalling VCM suite, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, new USB cable) nothing would work so I emailed HPT Support.

Support had me do some basic troubleshooting with the drivers then they asked to remote in to my PC so they could troubleshoot. The connected and looked around, then emailed me a little while later saying only:

"This unit is part of an ongoing fraud investigation and has been killed due to a chargeback from the use of an unauthorized creditcard."

I asked them about the credits that I currently have and the vehicles I have licensed and they said there is nothing they can do about it.

So, I am here to share my story. Be careful who you buy from. HPTuners has the ability to disable/kill your interface at any time! I attached the email from support for anyone who wants to read along. I have filed a case with paypal (thank god I am within the 180 day window still).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HPTuners2.pdf (239.3 KB, 584 views)

Last edited by Philbar71; 01-05-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They issued a letter about this some time ago. They warned everybody about the stolen units and told that they were unusable and if somebody bought them it would be a waste of money.
It's been a long time advise to buy only from known dealers and check serial numbers before buying.

I'm glad they can kill any stolen unit, I don't want somebody to steal my interface and be able to use it.

I'm sorry to know that you was scammed. Hope you can still make a paypal claim.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
They issued a letter about this some time ago. They warned everybody about the stolen units and told that they were unusable and if somebody bought them it would be a waste of money.
It's been a long time advise to buy only from known dealers and check serial numbers before buying.

I'm glad they can kill any stolen unit, I don't want somebody to steal my interface and be able to use it.

I'm sorry to know that you was scammed. Hope you can still make a paypal claim.
Ive escalated the case to paypal. How can I check the serial # if the interface is listed as "new?

They also do not make this information public anywhere on their forums or their website that they can deactivate interfaces. I posted this thread over there to warn folks and they deleted it, saying that "they dont allow these types of posts".
Old 01-05-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Post the ebay sellers name as well... They may specialize in this kind of hardware. We had one up in my part of the country hitting the tracks all the time and stealing ECU's out of race cars. Guy finally got caught ...
Old 01-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Teching In

"daraunz234" was the ebay seller. Is there a place to post this scammer info to? I know hes not directly related to LS1Tech.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/daraunz234?_...72.m2749.l2754

He only sold two items on ebay. I feel ashamed because I left him positive feedback on the item as well...
Old 01-05-2017, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Thats a shame about the feedback, but I WOULD contact Ebay, if you haven't already. Ebay can pull your feedback off, since you have communication from HP Tuners.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Philbar71
Ive escalated the case to paypal. How can I check the serial # if the interface is listed as "new?
You can request the seller to send you the serial number of the interface. Check it with HPtuners support.
If the seller doesn't want to give you the serial number, don't buy it.
There are several reputable re-sellers who can be trusted and there is no need to check serial numbers.

How much did the interface cost you?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

"daraunz234" was the ebay seller. Is there a place to post this scammer info to? I know hes not directly related to LS1Tech.

He only sold two items on ebay. I feel ashamed because I left him positive feedback on the item as well...
I'm not trying to be rude, but you bought a HPT interface to a new ebay seller with hardly any reputation. Then you gave Him positive REP before checking the product (any product with electronic activation/update has to be checked for a valid license).
Ebay listing was $420, $80 bucks cheaper than list price, from a seller who hasn't sold any HPT interfaces, there is no way He can get better price than big dealers.

This is completely your fault mate, sorry to tell you that.

Best Regards.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

I have never given this any thought before, but I suppose I should contact them in order to kill the interface that was stolen from me a few years ago. Then again, the thieves probably just wanted the Durabook laptop and tossed the rest of what was in the laptop bag.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

damn! that's what worries me about leaving mine laying around. I'm always bouncing from one vehicle the next.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Call me paranoid, but I have all my laptops, external hard disks and usb sticks encrypted. I never leave any of my tuning cables or laptops unattended and I carry them with me always, specially at the track.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
I never leave any of my tuning cables or laptops unattended and I carry them with me always, specially at the track.
Amen brother! I dont even want to leave my cable AT HOME! LOL!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Mine was at work when thieves broke in overnight.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I spoke to HP Tuners about this a couple years ago when a friend wanted an interface. I told him to buy through HP Tuners directly or one of their authorised retailers but he thought he could get one cheaper through flea bay.

I thought the price was too good to be true but he wouldn't let it go and had to take the chance. The interface he found was part of the stolen batch when I verified the serial through the guys at HP Tuners. My friend was lucky, the seller refunded his money and pulled the ad for the remaining units. Of course this was all within a 24 - 48 hour period via paypal and a reputable seller.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

damn what a bummer. this kinda crap is why I have my paypal linked to my credit card. any funny business and i can have my creditor charge it back. makes slow-*** paypal resolutions happen with the quickness.

good luck bro.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Same just happened to me same seller too.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I sure as hell hope you told Ebay!!!!

Quick Reply: HPtuners Can "Deactivate/Kill" Your Interface at Any Time