LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Default FAST crank decoder box is available

Order away they are in stock now.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default price?

Any idea what the price of the decoder box is?

Thanks
ben
Old 06-24-2004, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think suggested retail was $150.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default some more info

I spoke to Tony @ FAST today-
the decoder box has a 60 degree trigger angle, making it ideal for a variety of standalones including the Autronic SM2 that I'm using.
He stated the output was inductive- you may need a reluctor adapter when using this with your standalone, again depending on what the ECU looks for as a trigger.
He also stated it was $110.

Ben
Old 06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I spoke to Tony @ FAST today-
the decoder box has a 60 degree trigger angle, making it ideal for a variety of standalones including the Autronic SM2 that I'm using.
He stated the output was inductive- you may need a reluctor adapter when using this with your standalone, again depending on what the ECU looks for as a trigger.
He also stated it was $110.

Ben
Hey RX-Ben: Is you Autronic SM2 hooked up to a LS1? I have been following that company for several years and have always wanted one since they are the only company that I know of that has a AutoTune feature.
If you do how do you like the configurability of it? Would you purchase it again if you had the opportunity to do it again?

Sorry for the questions I have been thinking about ordering one for a project and have never seen anyone with one to ask any questions too.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default not yet.

Well, I'm currently doing an LS1 swap into an '87 RX7. First up is the mechanicals, then I'll be wiring it up. I used to run the SM2 on a big turbo'd Honda. Easy to install and a great system. I haven't used the autotune, but I'm going to use it on the LS1.

I know the AEM has autotune (I don't know if there is an AEM app for domestics though), but the SM2 has a better traction control setup and I think it is just a better system overall.

Go for it!

Originally Posted by monodax
Hey RX-Ben: Is you Autronic SM2 hooked up to a LS1? I have been following that company for several years and have always wanted one since they are the only company that I know of that has a AutoTune feature.
If you do how do you like the configurability of it? Would you purchase it again if you had the opportunity to do it again?

Sorry for the questions I have been thinking about ordering one for a project and have never seen anyone with one to ask any questions too.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

What is the SM2? ECU system or what?
Old 06-29-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
What is the SM2? ECU system or what?
The SM2 is just the model of an ECU made by Autronic. It's a sequential 3D ECU.

Their site explains it pretty well. They used to be one of the only companies that made a real AutoTune Feature.

http://www.autronic.com

Here is the info on the AutoTune from their site:

The Autotune ™ will tune the engine with no input from the operator. The closed loop air fuel ratio table is used as the target air fuel ratio table for the Autotune software. This table is setup with the required air fuel ratios at various RPM and Load points.

An Autronic exhaust gas analyzer or any other analyzer that provides a 0 to 1 volt corrected output, is connected to the ECU O2 I/P, this is used as the actual air fuel ratio input. As the engine is run through its various RPM and Load points the software will adjust the volumetric efficiency numbers in the main fuel table to achieve the target air fuel ratio.

At no time do you need to touch the keyboard on the Laptop.

After the tuning is complete the analyzer and 02 sensor is longer need. At any time after tuning is finished the values in the target closed loop table can be changed, and the engine will automatically run the new air fuel ratio, providing you do not make a change to the volumetric efficiency of the engine, e.g. fit a different camshaft, modify cylinder head etc...

If the engine is modified so the volumetric efficiency changes, then the analyzer and Autotune ™ software will be required again to re-tune the engine.

The Autotune ™ software is much faster then a good operator. It is not possible to manually tune as quick as the Autotune ™. A typical engine will take less than 20 minutes to fully map on an engine dyno.

The accuracy of the Autotune ™ can be setup in the software from 0.5% to 5.0% accuracy. The default value is 2% accuracy, this is generally a lot more accuracy then most tuners manual tune engines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
Autronic Autotune ™ software provides rapid hands-tree tuning of Engine Air/Fuel mixtures. This automated operation frees the engine tuner, allowing total concentration on safe engine/dyno operation. On road tuning of motor vehicles is even possible.

This software uses a complex combination of math, including statistics, trigonometry and fuzzy logic to intelligently adjust the fuel delivery tables. Initial tuning is rapid usually occurring within 1 second. High precision can be achieved by allowing the Autotune ™ to operate for an extended time at each engine operating point. The operator has control over the balance between tuning speed and accuracy. Accuracy is ultimately limited by the accuracy of the attached Air/Fuel ratio measurement equipment.

The program provides visual indication of the tune status. Automatic and manual storage of tune status allows the user to monitor the tuning progress even if undertaken in several sessions. Tuning usually proceeds 2 to 5 times faster than possible by manual means. Fuel savings of as much at 90% have been reported. The considerable savings in engine life are obvious.

This program also has elaborate diagnostics facilities and allows simultaneous operation of the ECU internal data logger and external P.C data logging.

Versions are now available that have live engine operating data graphs while tuning, and a live 3D graphical presentation of the tuning process.

Quick Reply: FAST crank decoder box is available